releasing the quail

bauerline

Last summer I got 30 quail for my johnny house and today I let them out of the JH so I can get it cleaned up for this summer. Plus I was just about out of food for them. I had 22 quail left in the pen plus one more that has been hanging around outside for the past 6 weeks or so for a total of 23 birds remaining. I had 5 die in the pen in August and 2 more that most likely became part of the food chain. I think the 5 that died broke their necks when a mower went by. It was nice to hear the birds calling in the field before I left. Here is a short video of some of the flying out of the JH.

I'll have to try and keep an eye on them to see how long they last.

That's pretty cool! You certainly got a lot of use out of those birds this year. Did other members of your club use them also? Maybe the one bird that's been out there for six weeks can teach these birds his survival tricks! LOL

Admit it...you got kinda of attached to these guys didn't you!

I'm not sure if anybody else used the birds or not. I made the offer to others to let them know when I would do releases but nobody took me up on the offer. It sure was nice to be able to run the dogs on some birds anytime I wanted. Some of the other quail would stay out for a week before going back in so they may make out OK. I would see a red tail hawk and cat around but the quail would hide in the cover and wait them out I guess. I did 1-2 releases per week since mid July and they have done much better than I thought they would. But you're right about getting a little attached to them. I may have had a hard time shooting them if there was an open quail season in the area. I plan on running the dogs tomorrow so I'll try to get some pictures.

Saw a single hen quail hanging around the cool season grass over the weekend. I hope some of the others are surviving as well. I'll have to do a good search for them later in the summer.

Saw a single hen quail hanging around the cool season grass over the weekend. I hope some of the others are surviving as well. I'll have to do a good search for them later in the summer.

Bauerline,

That's to cool. I hope that hen has at least one rooster to maybe hook up with. Keep us infomed.:thumbsup:

For a few weeks I saw a hen quail and a rooster hanging out together. Then I just saw the hen. Some guys were mowing on Friday and they saw a quail fly into the woods. They thought it was a male. I hope so.

Thats awsome, we gotta give back, to take:coolpics:
Last summer I got 30 quail for my johnny house and today I let them out of the JH so I can get it cleaned up for this summer. Plus I was just about out of food for them. I had 22 quail left in the pen plus one more that has been hanging around outside for the past 6 weeks or so for a total of 23 birds remaining. I had 5 die in the pen in August and 2 more that most likely became part of the food chain. I think the 5 that died broke their necks when a mower went by. It was nice to hear the birds calling in the field before I left. Here is a short video of some of the flying out of the JH.

I'll have to try and keep an eye on them to see how long they last.

About a month ago a group of quail were spotted along a bean field. They are doing better than I thought they would.

Bauerline, love the video, Thank you for helping out Ma-Nature. You are a good role model to in that, sow what you reap and reap what you sow.

Back