Recommend a Vet in Aberdeen, SD area

Mosby

I am going to try some new areas around Aberdeen this year and I always like to have Vet information in my truck, in case of an emergency.

Can anyone recommend a good vet in that area that has 24 hour emergency service? Thanks.

Appreciate the information. I hunt by myself most of the time and found that being organized and prepared really helps when there is an issue. Thanks.

You are welcome I hope you don't need one.
My GSP put both front legs through a window pane this summer when I was out of town visiting my son. Fortunately, she is going to be fine but I learned local Vet's don't like people walking in off the street without any shot records or familiarity with the dog and I don't like filling out paperwork and answering questions when my dog is hurting. Going forward, I am going to set up an account with a local vet in area's I plan on hunting frequently. Hopefully, I won't need them but it will save some time and anxiety in the event I do. Thanks again.

Last edited:
My GSP put both front legs through a window pane this summer when I was out of town visiting my son. Fortunately, she is going to be fine but I learned local Vet's don't like people walking in off the street without any shot records or familiarity with the dog and I don't like filling out paperwork and answering questions when my dog is hurting. Going forward, I am going to set up an account with a local vet in area's I plan on hunting frequently. Hopefully, I won't need them but it will save some time and anxiety in the event I do. Thanks again.
I think you are going a little overboard in setting up an account with a vet in the areas you plan to hunt. If you need a vet in an emergency situation and can't imagine a vet here in South Dakota that wouldn't treat the dog first and ask questions later. Obviously it's a good idea to have the phone numbers of some vets handy in the case you need one. And it wouldn't hurt to have a copy of your dog's shot records along with you. Having an emergency out here in the Dakotas while hunting is quite common and the vets are use to those situations. I had one last November. Called the vet about 5:00 PM from the field told them what had happened and that I was about 30 minutes out. They were there waiting when I arrived.

I think you are going a little overboard in setting up an account with a vet in the areas you plan to hunt. If you need a vet in an emergency situation and can't imagine a vet here in South Dakota that wouldn't treat the dog first and ask questions later. Obviously it's a good idea to have the phone numbers of some vets handy in the case you need one. And it wouldn't hurt to have a copy of your dog's shot records along with you. Having an emergency out here in the Dakotas while hunting is quite common and the vets are use to those situations. I had one last November. Called the vet about 5:00 PM from the field told them what had happened and that I was about 30 minutes out. They were there waiting when I arrived.
Maybe...lol but the reaction I got from the women behind the counter when I walked into the Vet's office with a bleeding dog was alarming to me at the time. They seemed more concerned about me not having a mask on than why my dog was bleeding and at first didn't know if they could treat a dog that wasn't a "customer" but would talk with the Vet and try to "fit her in". They clearly weren't used to walk in emergencies. If they wouldn't have taken her(and they weren't sure when I first walked in), it would have taken me quite a bit of time to find another Vet, which would have sucked for me and the dog even more.

It all worked out and the Vet sewed her back up but I decided while I was sitting there waiting and my dog was bleeding, that I was going to be more pro active getting this figured out before it happens again. But your right, it may not be necessary and having shot records etc., with me would help. I had to call my Vet in NW Arkansas and have information emailed while I was waiting on seeing the Vet and had to have them put a rush on it. Finding a Vet for emergencies and getting everything done in advance is just easier, less stressful and better for the dog IMO and the Vet's I've called so far don't seem to mind working with me.

It is a good idea to have a copy of rabies and health record at least stored on your phone when traveling out of state with your dog.

A good number to have stored in your contacts for any pet owner:

ASPCA Poison Control Hotline
1 (888) 426-4435

Back