Rattlesnake Vaccine

Plannerman

Located in Minnesota and my local vet doesn't carry snake vaccine. Anyone have experience or knowledge with vaccine availability with MN vets??

Ask your vet to call around. First time around ours did that and got some from another local vet. Now we just give him a couple of weeks notice and he brings a vial in.

Thanks. Most vets are responding with "we don't have rattlesnakes here"...
Located in Minnesota and my local vet doesn't carry snake vaccine. Anyone have experience or knowledge with vaccine availability with MN vets??
Are you looking for the preventative vaccine or the actual treatment for a bite?
Many vets in the rattle snake area are not doing the pre vaccine any more..Feel at best it’s worthless..or even harmful.
Ok before the “experts start in” no I’m not a vet..just relaying what ive been told by more than one. And cost does not enter into my decision..

Finding that to be true, fewer using the vaccine and treating after a bite. Maybe worrying too much but hunt some desolate areas in the West.

I view it more as a insurance policy, I’ve had dogs bit with and without it and the experience was about the same. I will say the vaccinated dog rebounded faster and recovered significantly quicker than the other. That was enough reason for me to continue.

Our vets tell us that the "preventative" vaccine will reduce the symptoms of a bite and, importantly significantly reduce the costs of treatment after a bite. We don't have rattlesnakes where we live but we hunt where there can be snakes, even later in the season so we vaccinate. We talk to our vet before we vaccinate each year to make sure there hasn't been any changes to the science of using the vaccine. We've seen no post vaccination affects and haven't had a dog bitten, but based upon what our vets tell us, it seems like pretty inexpensive insurance.

Just talked to my vet. First year 2 shots 3 weeks apart. 1 shot yearly thereafter. I asked about 2nd shot at 10 months due to scheduling , answer was no , then changed to , oh that should be okay ? I am going to call around!

Have to schedule it as I was told 3 day lifespan in the fridge.

Back