Raising pheasants

I bumped into someone who lost 80 pheasnants last thursday.

I just stopped by his place to take a look at what got into the pen. By the way it sounded I figured it was a weasel but the heads were removed from a dozen or so pheasnats. Anyone know if this was the work of a Weasel or a Mink:confused:? In the past the Weasel have always chewed the throats of the birds, not remove the head.

P.S.--I know owls remove heads of penned birds. What ever this was got in unter the door to the pen.

--1pheas4

I was going to comment that raccoons are pretty much inactive right now, but noticed that your from Illinois (not that that matters ;)) I've heard that bobcats may take the heads off. Is that a possibility?

Couple years ago I lost a bunch of pheasants. Only the heads missing. Found a hole. Made a wood funnel type thing and a live trap. Got 2 skunks in the trap at one time. Ending the problem. I have 2x12's buried and wire attached. Not enough, I added wire on the ground a couple feet out, has been working.

I've had Mallards and turkeys as well as chickens in with the pheasants. All get along just fine. Guinea fowl DO NOT get along with anything.:(

I was going to comment that raccoons are pretty much inactive right now, but noticed that your from Illinois (not that that matters ;)) I've heard that bobcats may take the heads off. Is that a possibility?

LOL......Our coons are still active. Dormit, but they do come out dispite the cold esspecially at night. It's nice because they aren't causing as much trouble/killings as they normally would during warmer months:D --1pheas4

just skinned a few. their necks are severed 1" below the back of the skull. Bite marks are fairly small. I can't figure out how the neck was severed without chew marks/tares through skin?:confused: Just 4 small holes from the animals teeth.

Mink:confused: --1pheas4

My wife would roll her eyes at me, but I think we all know what we're dealing with here........it's an immature Bigfoot! :eek: Did you check for tracks???

just skinned a few. their necks are severed 1" below the back of the skull. Bite marks are fairly small. I can't figure out how the neck was severed without chew marks/tares through skin?:confused: Just 4 small holes from the animals teeth.

Mink:confused: --1pheas4

Chupa cabra!:D No one from the mid west probably has a clue as to what I'm referring.

Last edited:
Got him! I've posted a pic below. I'm thinking we'll keep the traps out just incase there was more than one. :) --1pheas4

http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/vampires/Chupacabra/elchupacabra/image/chupacabra_.jpg

P.S.--LOL.....quial hound we have TVs here in the Midwest too you know. Stuff travels.

Yep that's him for sure, damn things will eat anything once the feral goat populations decline.:D

Oops I thought not many people out side of the west/ southwest new about him. Good for you guys finally getting TVs.:D:cheers:

your birds

captaincoot,

How did your birds turn out? I was thinking about raising some in the spring.

I've raised pigs cattle chickens but what does it take to raise a pheasant? How big of pen? I'm going to get 360 eggs I know feed and keep them in a round pen, Is 36 ft circle big enough? How big of pen when they get bigger and what about netting? Or do you just release them at a certain age? Thanks for the help guys:thumbsup::)

Back