Rain?

I don't know about too late, but where I live it was too little to have any sort of positive effect. It was more like a heavy dew this morning than a rain, but it did provide some undesirable humidity:mad: If this kind of summer is to become typical in KS, MT is gonna have a new resident;)

We ended up getting .55" of rain last night and over 1" a week ago out at work, but the ground sucks it up so fast we don't even get flow in the ditches. I saw a farmer out here cutting corn last week!:eek:

Rut

Wow, it was just a couple of years ago that we couldn't hunt WIHA in November because all the crops were still standing because it was too wet to harvest!

Rut

KB when and where are we going in MT?;)

I'll tell ya at the creek tomorrow. A close friend of my youth moved up there about 10 years ago. He sent me a message saying the temp had gone above 90 for a couple days and he thought he was going to die:rolleyes: The good news he had to share was that temps had normalized and he was enjoying mid-70's for a high. Anyway, he constantly taunts me with the broad diversity of wildlife in MT. Momma don't want nothin' to do with MT winters.....she's gonna hafta split the difference with me cuz' these temps ain't fit for a chunky white-boy:D

I'll tell ya at the creek tomorrow. A close friend of my youth moved up there about 10 years ago. He sent me a message saying the temp had gone above 90 for a couple days and he thought he was going to die:rolleyes: The good news he had to share was that temps had normalized and he was enjoying mid-70's for a high. Anyway, he constantly taunts me with the broad diversity of wildlife in MT. Momma don't want nothin' to do with MT winters.....she's gonna hafta split the difference with me cuz' these temps ain't fit for a chunky white-boy:D

Oh how nice that sounds. Being a Michigan transplant myself I enjoy the winter. As for the wife I think you may need to be creative in your ways of persuasion:) sounds too good not to really think about it seriously.

The earliest I have ever picked it before was Aug. 10. Its about a month earlier than last year. The end of Aug. is normal. I am headed out to start now. We start at 5 and usually have to quit at noon, as the stalks get so dry they pile up on the corn head and won't feed in.

We started chopping our corn yesterday. Little Turtle road the 4wheeler around behind me picking up ears for his hogs. 40 ears on 7 acres. Kinda poor yields on ears but lots of stalks.

The earliest I have ever picked it before was Aug. 10. Its about a month earlier than last year. The end of Aug. is normal. I am headed out to start now. We start at 5 and usually have to quit at noon, as the stalks get so dry they pile up on the corn head and won't feed in.

Let me know what you see fsentkir!!! Confirm what I am hearing from most everyone else and it ain't pretty!!!!!!:cheers:

We saw 5 different coveys of quail picking around the edge of one quarter section today. They were nice size broods also. My brother runs the combine so he sees most of the birds. I was trailing him in the auger wagon around the field edge when I saw these. We have cut around 1000 acres, and he said he has seen more quail so far than in the last 10 years. I knew we had a good hatch but I never thought we had enough carryover to raise the amount of birds we are seeing. The range from almost full grown to just barely able to fly. This is on my home farm in Anderson County. My friend sprayed my wheat stubble in Finney county and only saw one covey of quail, and not very many pheasants. The wheat stubble is pretty short, so I'm hoping they were in the pasture which I just let grow, or on the WRP land which is seeded to sudex for a cover crop. They also may have been in one of the windbreaks in the shade. They were there when we harvested, I sure hope the heat didn't get them.

We saw 5 different coveys of quail picking around the edge of one quarter section today. They were nice size broods also. My brother runs the combine so he sees most of the birds. I was trailing him in the auger wagon around the field edge when I saw these. We have cut around 1000 acres, and he said he has seen more quail so far than in the last 10 years. I knew we had a good hatch but I never thought we had enough carryover to raise the amount of birds we are seeing. The range from almost full grown to just barely able to fly. This is on my home farm in Anderson County. My friend sprayed my wheat stubble in Finney county and only saw one covey of quail, and not very many pheasants. The wheat stubble is pretty short, so I'm hoping they were in the pasture which I just let grow, or on the WRP land which is seeded to sudex for a cover crop. They also may have been in one of the windbreaks in the shade. They were there when we harvested, I sure hope the heat didn't get them.

Good to hear about the Bob's!!! Not hearing very good reports out West! Had a good hatch, but since no sightings of young birds as of late!! Only adults!!!!! That is of the Pheasants!!!! Time will tell!!!

Back