questions about shorthairs

nc bird man

I Have a question about shorthairs. I have been running setters for many years. I am going to purchase a short hair pup towards the end of the season. I need to learn about shorthair blood lines. I like my dogs to run hard and have a natural tendency to stay with me as the cover dictates. I like athletic dogs, Dogs that hunt very hard, have good noses and have a lot of heart. Style no big deal as far as i am concerned. Could anybody recommend bloodlines to go with and which to stay away from. At this point i know absolutely nothing so don't assume anything.

Thanks

Last edited:
This spring I got my first pointer, a Deutsch Kurzhaar (DK). The DK is what I would call the German GSP and is bred for its versatility in the field. He hunts very hard, definitely has a lot of heart and is very athletic. I'm very pleased with this breed. You can look at the NADKC http://www.nadkc.org/ for more info on the breed...also I got my DK from Kirk McConnor http://www.dkvomjamesriver.com/index.html

Last edited:
I like the Windrow's saddle tramp, Burr Oaks Hoosier Buddy line, I have 2 dogs out of them and they by far have the best noses on any shorthairs I have owned, that comes from the Hoosier Buddy, line and the Windrows Saddle tramp throws a ton of drive, and early pointing instincts.
Here is my website www.saddletrampshorthairs.com, and a litter coming up if it took out of my male@ www.maverickshorthairs.com.
I bought Jack at a year old and he is a hard charging go with me big nose and all the style you need kinda dog.
Anymore I cab do let me know
cdenhamjr@gmail.com
Chip :cheers:

I like Shooting Star and Sharp Shooter bred GSPs for foot hunting prospects. They do very well in the NAVHDA system.There are many lines out there and most are good, its just all in what you want.

I like Shooting Star and Sharp Shooter bred GSPs for foot hunting prospects. They do very well in the NAVHDA system.There are many lines out there and most are good, its just all in what you want.
Very good huntinglines. I would also add Hillhaven ie Hillhaven's Hustler lines as being more biddable and willing to go with the foot hunter's style yet maintain plenty of drive.
________
Medical marijuana card

Last edited:
gsp bloodlines

Shooting Star and Sharp Shooter would be my 1st and 2nd choice or vice versa, Willy Engleking " king kennels out of chicago breeds some all star dogs as well.

Back