Question

Crusaderhunter

Men I posted this on the Kansas forum but thought I should also get all your input.

I have a dog that is sure movimg slow today. What can I do for him to get over his sorness? He did a great job hunting Saturday and Suday am this being his only second season in the field. I thought is was in shape but I must have over did it this weekend because both of us are sure sore today.

Thanks

Mike

You said this was your dogs second season in the field so I am assuming your dog is still quite young (2-3 years old). Like you said, you probably just over did it. Was this the first time hunting this year? I wouldn't worry about him, let him rest today and see how he is tomorrow. I'll bet he will be back to normal in a day and ready to go again.

Thanks for the input

Yes, this was his first day out in a real hunt and he is just over two now. On the last day of the season 2007-2008 my son carried him in his jacket as we walked our last field of the year. Sure could not carry him now as big as he is. I just do not want to harm him. Next weekend I will rest him more.

You just pushed him a little too hard. Like I said previously, give a day to rest and he should be back to normal. I'd be careful with giving him asprin as it can be upsetting to a dog's stomach. At his age he shouldn't need asprin, just a little rest. Take it a little easier on him next weekend until he gets in better shape. What breed of dog are we talking about here?

Give us a report tomorrow. I bet he will be just fine.

Hunting is tough on a dog. Even late in the season when my Brittanys are in great shape, if I hunt them hard and for multiple days they get tired and sore.

If a rimidyl tablet doesn't get him back to normal then maybe something else is going on. Hard to believe a young dog doesn't bounce back, especially one that is in shape.

I would suggest a 87 grain Baby Aspirin. It will just relax and ease his pained muscles. It could also help him to recover quicker. Sound like a regular aspirin wouldn't hurt you either.....Bob

Last edited:
rimidyl is not a drug to be used to push your young dog another day.

It is used for older arthritic or older dogs who may have been injured.

I highly suggest just giving the dog a rest, maybe a baby aspirin some Ester C and maybe a Glucosamine Chondroitin.

He's a Lab not a pointer. even a pointer would need a rest.

We use up to 5 dogs in a single day.

onpoint

Last edited:
Wow onpoint u are right about Rimadyl. Did some research on it and is some bad stuff and can cause death in dogs.

I've given Rimadyl to my dogs for over 10 years and never experienced any problems. But I agree with onpoint that it is really meant to be used in arthritic and older dogs. I had a Springer that developed hip displaysia when he was 5 years old. He couldn't even go up steps. We put him on Rimadyl and he was a new dog. His hunting days were done but he at least could get around okay. We got to a point that we would only give him some Rimadyl if we notice him limping or something so he wasn't on an regular dose for an extended period.

As I've said in previous posts. Give your 2 year old Lab a couple days rest and he'll be good as new. Forget medication. Maybe a baby aspirin would be okay but I've had dogs get sick to their stomachs on aspirin.

is he in shape or in hunting shape? Im just saying theres a difference between not being fat and in great hunting shape. Most dogs that are truly in good hunting shape can stretch a little and walk it off. Once they get loosened up they're fine on day 2. Day 5 of a SD trip is another story. Mine really get worn down by that 5th day.

is he in shape or in hunting shape?

Very good point. There is a big difference in having your dog in shape with road work, etc. before the season and actual hunting conditions in the field. I hunt 2-3 days a week so my dogs are in good "hunting shape" but I rarely hunt consecutive days since I'm retired and can pick my days. So my dogs have a day or tow to recover. But when I have friends from out of state come and we hunt 4-5 days in a row it takes a toll on the dogs. The first 3 days they are fine but on the 4th day you can tell they are tired and sore. With 2 dogs I have to try and remember to rotate them more and not hunt them both at the same time.

I have a 10 year old Brit. Starting last season, I went to a hunt 2 days with 1 day off, 2 days, 1 day off. It works pretty well. Tony is shape for I never really allow him to get out of shape. I like George run him in hunting weeds 3-4 times a week. I run him everyday possible, it good for him and me. But there are days, he hunts harder than others. On those days when I kennel him in the SUV. I give him some treats and a Baby Aspirin, he gets treats at the end of every hunt or run. I have never had any trouble with him and aspirin. I just have to hide it in one of the treats. But George is right, some dogs get upset stomachs from it. The only way you are going to know is try it and see if the aspirin stays down..............Bob

Guys, I'm not buying it............a two year old lab moving slowly after a tough weekend of hunting! No way should that young dog be laid up unless he hurt himself or is sick. I just got back from two weeks in North Dakota and hunted every day with my 6 year old female lab and she was rarin' to go every day. I hunted every day for two weeks straight, the dog was in good shape to begin with and lost a little weight buy the end of the two weeks, but then again so did I. I hunted a lot of cattails and along the river bottoms by myself and the dog had to work very hard for our limit. I think something is wrong with the dog or it wasn't really in good shape.

An alternative to using regular asprin is to use Ascriptin. It is asprin that also has Maalox which helps with upset stomach issues.

No temp, the vet put him on Anti-inflammatory twice a day and says if he does not get to walking better in a few days we will need to have x-rays. No hunting for him for the next two weeks. That is going to be tough on him when he sees us going to the field without him.

Back