Question for a GFP CO

irmy26

A buddy of mine wants to come hunt pheasants with me this fall but isn’t wanting to pay the non resident prices.. so here’s the thing, he used to live in SD for a few years and moved back to Minnesota a year and a half ago. He still has his SD drivers license but was issued a MN drivers license as well. I was looking at the residency requirements and it says that obtaining a hunting license in another state or claiming residency in another state voids SD residency but if you have an SD hunting license before another state you’re still valid.. so technically could he just buy his SD hunting license before his MN license and still be legal in both states?

No, he is a resident of MN, if he buys a SD license and gets caught he will pay a fine. Plus if he gets caught using his SD license he could pay another fine. Look at his SD license, I’ll bet a corner was cut, law enforcement/ co’s will know its invalid. They do that during the process of issuing a new license.

A buddy of mine wants to come hunt pheasants with me this fall but isn’t wanting to pay the non resident prices.. so here’s the thing, he used to live in SD for a few years and moved back to Minnesota a year and a half ago. He still has his SD drivers license but was issued a MN drivers license as well. I was looking at the residency requirements and it says that obtaining a hunting license in another state or claiming residency in another state voids SD residency but if you have an SD hunting license before another state you’re still valid.. so technically could he just buy his SD hunting license before his MN license and still be legal in both states?
No and no way!!!
He is a Mn resident…
To be legal .must by non resident S.D. license
Seem to be a little to much internet/jail house reasoning there.

Unfortunately, the requirement in the SDGFP handbook is that a person must meet ALL the criteria, not just the one listed. He has a MN license and has lived there for 18 months. Not a resident under the definition of the SDGFP/State of South Dakota.
1661451015706.png

Just my opinion, and I'm old...but

I like rules. I like that I can know what is ok and what is not. Knowing that a person might be able to scrape by on licensing confusion is not the same as obeying the rules that govern the hunting season and territory.

Simply stated, it is not right.

If one can't afford the license, then that person should not hunt. If a person CAN afford the license and chooses to manipulate the facts to avoid doing so, that person is doing the wrong thing and I wouldn't want to be associated with him.

The word "weasel" comes to mind.

Having an in-state hunting licence and driving an out-of-state tagged vehicle registered to you is a HUGE red flag. Try and talk you way out of that?
Good luck cowboy 🤔.

Back