quail?

have only taken 2 so far. A lot more cover this year than normal. All birds quail and pheasant are running instead of flying.

Better this year

To date I have shot 36 Quail since the season opened in NW Oklahoma. I have seen a considerable amount of Quail this year over the past 3-4 seasons, but still down from several years ago. I have been hunting 3 to 4 days a week and only take 1 or 2 Quail each time out, that is, if I'm lucky to hit them. Not that good of a shot.

I have been going to the panhandle now for 7 years and this season is the best I have seen for quail. Also we got some blue quail too which was a first for us in the panhandle. The pheasants were better than the past few years but not near as good as when we first hunted there. We do hunt all private land and are fortunate in that respect. We do hunt where there is lots of irrigation so the birds do have some moisture as it has been and still is extremely dry dusty and has very hard scenting conditions.

sounds like you had some good hunts....any pics?
I've been wanting to go to Oklahoma for the past several years....but I think it's just now recovering a bit with bird #'s

Back