Quail hunting in south Idaho

Desha

Hello, I'm interested in hunting Quail around Burley to Twin Falls. My granddaughter has been working on a GSH pointer, I would like some info on public land in these locations.
I'm 70 years young, I started hunting Quail around 14 but they were wiped out in southern Arkansas before I could really get into it. I have been in Idaho for 10 years, and would love to let the granddaughter to have the opportunity to see some good hunting.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I live in twin and haven't seen much for quail, which sucks as they are my favorite birds to hunt. My pup is only 16 weeks so I'm going to sit out one more season. I've been doing a lot of scouting tho so if I find a decent place, I will shoot you a PM.

Hello, I'm interested in hunting Quail around Burley to Twin Falls. My granddaughter has been working on a GSH pointer, I would like some info on public land in these locations.
I'm 70 years young, I started hunting Quail around 14 but they were wiped out in southern Arkansas before I could really get into it. I have been in Idaho for 10 years, and would love to let the granddaughter to have the opportunity to see some good hunting.
Think you will have to get to Bliss/Hagerman area heading to GlensFerry before finding much public ground that hold quail Try BLM and Access Yes ground
There is some access between Wendell and Buhl along the river & a Fish and game property around Niagara Springs. Will take some scouting and boot work- that is why it is called hunting and not killing. Worst day of hunting is better than a good day at work. Wish I had grandkids that hunted. Good luck

Domypu live around here? I live in twin, wouldn't mind having someone to hunt with. I went to the access yes ground on the Nevada border off of monument springs road last weekend but only saw sage chicken.
Grew up in Twin Falls but not there now
Used to be good hunting for huns around Rogerson and chukars North of Gooding
Good luck finding a hunting partner- tough to find someone with values to hunt with

Domypu live around here? I live in twin, wouldn't mind having someone to hunt with. I went to the access yes ground on the Nevada border off of monument springs road last weekend but only saw sage chicken.
I worked near Bruneau for a couple years and lived in Challis for another dozen years, WMA 's held some quail, but heavy weekend pressure. It takes some scouting time but good habitat along and above the Snake produces birds. Lots of opportunity for mixed bag Valley quail, Huns/Chukar and occasional roosters. The frequent burns in that area changes things frequently.

I worked near Bruneau for a couple years and lived in Challis for another dozen years, WMA 's held some quail, but heavy weekend pressure. It takes some scouting time but good habitat along and above the Snake produces birds. Lots of opportunity for mixed bag Valley quail, Huns/Chukar and occasional roosters. The frequent burns in that area changes things frequently.
I'll start trying to hunt west of Twin.

There is a good piece of "Access Yes" state owned property on the east side of the river on the south side of I-84 that has good quail numbers. They live along the strip of Russian Olives just above the river. That spot never fails to produce. Another spot is on the south side of CJ Strike Reservoir. There is an access road that travels though several cattail sloughs and ends at a privative boat ramp. I have never hunted it but always see and hear quail when I'm fishing down that way.

There is a good piece of "Access Yes" state owned property on the east side of the river on the south side of I-84 that has good quail numbers. They live along the strip of Russian Olives just above the river. That spot never fails to produce. Another spot is on the south side of CJ Strike Reservoir. There is an access road that travels though several cattail sloughs and ends at a privative boat ramp. I have never hunted it but always see and hear quail when I'm fishing down that way.
I think I've figured out where you are talking about. I'm headed there Friday morning. Ive bumped quail a coue of places now around Wendell and Buhl when pheasant hunting. Nothing major just a couple of small single coveys. Real small. But that's ok, glad to get the pup on quail. The more bird contact the better.

Back