Quail Article

I think most of us understand the habitat issue. How do you explain great losses in unfragmented areas and good weather. Very disturbing. Doesn't look rosy.

Very interesting article. That's over 300 birds/hunter average for the 1960 season. Still trying to imagine what it must have been like. My dad and granddad hunted Southeastern Kansas in the mid-60s. Said it wasn't worth the drive if you didn't have 4 or 5 guys to shoot limits for. Granddad figured they found 18-25 coveys a day. Usually found another covey before you got to the singles.

I was reading something the other day about how Missouri's quail population was decimated after the winter of 1960. The bird population was back at an all time high by the end of the decade and had a record number of hunters as well. Given what they need, they're able to rebound quickly. This article really makes one wonder if something else isn't also playing a part.

I hunt on a ranch in NE Oklahoma that has decent bird numbers. It's a large area and relatively native. It's still possible to have decent bird numbers with all of the factors in place.

Last edited:
Good article thanks for sharing it with us. More bad news for the bobwhite.:(

Last edited:
At least the article said there were sections where the quail were doing well. Trying to look for a bright side!

I would suggest that the problem is the much higher number of predators, especially avian predators than there were 30,40 or 50 years ago.

It's hawks. No DDT, number of raptors has increased how much exactly? As a kid in the 60s we would rarely see one hawk in a week and when we did it was a big deal.

Now hawks are everywhere and they do a hell of a number on bobwhite. I've watched a hawk work a covey of quail over a 5 day period and kill every single bird in the covey.

Fewer birds just means we are going back to a more natural equilibrium in some places that have all the other requirements. In others habitat won't allow bird numbers at all. Just the way it is I guess.

Back