Pup has eaten plastic cap off auto-feeder/waterer

southernblues

So I'm thinking I'm making it easy on family as I travel a bit and they take care of daily feedings for 9 mo old pup while I'm gone. Go to Tractor Supply and buy the K9 auto feeder/waterer. Pup keeps knocking over his water bowls anyway so this works out better...

Go out to pen today to let him out and he's chewed up the feeder (as expected) but it still works OK, I look down and notice the cap for filling up the base with water is missing. I look around kennel 20 mins and can't find it. Assuming he ate/digested it, should I be worried? It was probably 1" in diameter and 1/2' thick. Worried that its trip to vet and open him up. What's the biggest object you've seen dogs pass in their stool?

southern blues,
My pups have chewed up about everything imaginable and have passed them but I do not think anything as big as the cap you are talking about. Hopefully if the pup did swallow it, the cap was chewed up in small pieces where it will not be a problem and I really think it , the cap, would be hard to swallow whole, but I do not know. I really would hate to have that happen, swollowed whole, as it probably will not be passed easily but I do not know. Maybe some one can give you more insight on this, but I think I would call my vet for his opinion, of course he may want you to bring him in but if he is a friend or a good vet he may give you options, what ever I hope the pup does well. Keep us informed as i am sure we are all curious and concerned.

Check his stool the next few days. You should start to see little pieces of plastic in the stool within 6-12 hours. If he starts not eating or drinking get him to the vet immediately.
My dogs have eaten everything and been fine but looking back I would only have metal or stainless items in the kennel during the day.

i figure he would have had to either broke it up into pieces or at least caved it in to have swallowed it. he's not acting funny yet but will keep close on eye on him.

Went thru something similar 2 weeks ago. Our 7 mo. old lab started puking about 4 in the morning. He was still eating and drinking and then would puke that up. Took him for a short walk during which he took a dump during that time. Got back to the house fed him a little bit which came right back up. Called the vet and got him in at 9:30, they kept him to take x-rays, called an hour later and said they saw some blockage. They operated and found a rock about the size of a silver dollar and a 1/2 inch thick with sharp points. I would think the size you descriped would pass. Keep an eye on the pup making sure things are passing out the back end and he keeps eating and drinking with no problems. Things should turn out ok. Keep us informed.

I have had them eat beer caps and AA batterys, both were puked back up later but hopefully he chewed it up. If he keeps dumping he should be fine. If he strugles a couple times and can't go get him in. What works well for water is a stainless bucket with the snap lead end on the handle so you can clip it to the fence and not tip it over and get some cow hoofs at fleet for him to chew, they last and keep em occupied. Anything plastic or chewable I recomend getting out of the kennel because they will just keep doing it.

All,

Thanks for the concern -- after more searching I found the top of the lid chewed up with some pieces still missing. Cap wasn't real big to begin with but from the looks of it he had his fun with it before swallowing what little he did. Good news is that kennel has plenty of land mines so he's moving his food. Thanks for the words.

On another note, how many use an auto-feeder and will the dog eventually ration himself or continue to splurge on the serving size?

He will most likely splurge, if not now,some time. It's best to regulate the diet. And get rid of those maitainence free gimics. They still need to be cleaned, so if you are doing that, a metal pail is pretty simple. And the snaplead ends keep it from spilling. After awhile they will quit spilling there water. Just put it in a spot he is not jumping up on all the time trying to watch you.

All,

On another note, how many use an auto-feeder and will the dog eventually ration himself or continue to splurge on the serving size?

I have had success with self-feeders, but only when I started dogs on them as pups. When I have tried to implement them with adult dogs, they have all splurged/gorged. The feeders I used are Kane's (kanemfg.com). Easy to clean, dogs didn't damage them, I've had them for years.

I'm glad things worked out. The five labs that we have had have chewed everything imaginable including the drywall in our laundry room. The best was when we had our two locked in our friend's basement bathroom of their house in Telluride while we were visiting and out to town for a couple of hours. They chewed a big "mouse-hole" right through the door by the time we got back and were looking out the main floor windows at us when we drove back in the driveway. Pretty embarassing! We've seen a lot of interesting "stuff" come out the other end, or get hurled back up the front. Luckily, no blockages yet. Do you remember the scene in Marly and Me searching the piles in the backyard---we were doing that for my wife's hearing aid, never did find that one.
Labs rule,
Tom

I'm glad things worked out. The five labs that we have had have chewed everything imaginable including the drywall in our laundry room. The best was when we had our two locked in our friend's basement bathroom of their house in Telluride while we were visiting and out to town for a couple of hours. They chewed a big "mouse-hole" right through the door by the time we got back and were looking out the main floor windows at us when we drove back in the driveway. Pretty embarassing! We've seen a lot of interesting "stuff" come out the other end, or get hurled back up the front. Luckily, no blockages yet. Do you remember the scene in Marly and Me searching the piles in the backyard---we were doing that for my wife's hearing aid, never did find that one.
Labs rule,
Tom

So were your friends with you when you pulled up and the dogs were looking at you??? Ouch!

"Uh, hmmm, yeah....don't know how that happened.....Honey, you ready to go?" ;)

Back