Pudelpointer

padave

Thinking of getting a another dog.

As of now pudelpointer is top of the list.

Can anyone here answer some questions about the breed please ? :cool:

Uncle Buck on this site is a Pudelpointer breeder and should be able to provide you with whatever information you would want on the breed. What specific questions might you have?

pudel

Waterman on this site has one too. I think it's about 3 or 4 years old. I've hunted with them. Good dog. Good discipline. Versitile. He could probably answer questions for you too.

1 what's the Breed like in general?

2 how is it as a indoor pet ?

3 with kids ( not babies )

4 other pets I have a big lab and a basset hound and two worthless cats.

5 is it a good breed for me?
I hunt ( unfortunately) on the weekends in season for phez and some grouse.
I probably don't have time everyday ( outside of the puppy stage ) to give daily vigorous exercise but I do run the lab 3-4 times a week and usually take him hiking swimming etc on the weekends when not in hunting season.

My big concern is the exercise thing, I had a field trial GWP and he was off the hook balls to the wall full throttle with the needing exercise. The GWP wasn't a bad dog, I was the wrong owner for him. Long story short I gave him to a banker that works from home and travels the country participating in Field trials
He's where he needs to be.

That being said I'll be honest I'm not energetic and sometimes I get busy for work so my hunting dog I have now is my lab but he's 6-7 yrs old and in maybe a year or two I'll be getting another dog.

Thanks for any replies

P.S. In everyone's opinion (s) what other breeds do you recommend doesn't matter to me pointer/flusher I personally like larger dogs, labs, GWP, pudelpointer, brocco italiano etc.

I have a draht, but I train with many PPs. So here's my 0.02

1 what's the Breed like in general?

Not a whole lot different than the other versatiles. More in common than different. High drive dogs that live to hunt.

2 how is it as a indoor pet ?

Some good, some bad. Very dependent on mental and physical stimulation.

3 with kids ( not babies )

Not sure

4 other pets I have a big lab and a basset hound and two worthless cats.

All the ones i've met have been very social, nice dogs.

5 is it a good breed for me?

On the whole, I've noticed that these dogs have a lot of run in them. Your satisfaction with this breed will be directly tied to the time you put in, both training wise and in exercise.
I hunt ( unfortunately) on the weekends in season for phez and some grouse.
I probably don't have time everyday ( outside of the puppy stage ) to give daily vigorous exercise but I do run the lab 3-4 times a week and usually take him hiking swimming etc on the weekends when not in hunting season.

My big concern is the exercise thing, I had a field trial GWP and he was off the hook balls to the wall full throttle with the needing exercise. The GWP wasn't a bad dog, I was the wrong owner for him. Long story short I gave him to a banker that works from home and travels the country participating in Field trials
He's where he needs to be.

That being said I'll be honest I'm not energetic and sometimes I get busy for work so my hunting dog I have now is my lab but he's 6-7 yrs old and in maybe a year or two I'll be getting another dog.

Thanks for any replies

IMHO, these dogs (V-dogs) take more work than a lab. Sure there are exceptions, but that's my take. I know some folks that received high octane PPs, nice dogs, but they were way to much for their handlers. Just remember, these dogs have a lot if pointer in them. Pointers are meant to, first and foremost, run.

And the fact that these dogs are in such high demand makes me think finding a litter that will most likely suit you could take many years.

If you aren't sold on a PP, certainly look into the other wirehair breeds. They are all quite similar. Easier to find GWP/DD/WPG breeders that breed dogs that aren't 100% octane. There's also Spinone that are very capable hunters, but don't run to the next area code.

Back