Public Service Announcement

KCWIEM

This is my Public Service Announcement to all bird hunters that have a dog. Just because you go out and by a German Short Hair does not mean it is a hunting dog. I don't care if you paid $1200 for it. Please and I say please at least make sure it has simple obedience training. This meaning when you say here or come or what ever comand you pick it comes to you. Also if you have a pointing dog make sure you can see it. If it is 75yrds away from you and on point flushing birds this does no one any good. Or if you are constantly YELLING for your doing while you are walking a field this also does no good. If your dog is not trained with a whistle please do not bring one and blow it all day long thinking you are on tv with a champion dog. What else.... Oh yeah make sure if you are hunting with other dogs your dog is social. Maybe just maybe this is the reaso that you are not getting invited to go with anyone hunting....

Shhwooo...........Glad you got all that out:D -1pheas4

I agree, its no fun listening to a guy that thinks he is a dog trainer yelling and whistling at his dog all day. On the other hand, I have a 8 month old Brittany and next week will be his first pheasant hunt, so there might be some loud words coming from me, but it will just be my father, the dog, and me. If he doesn't act right, there is always the check cord.

My kind of hunt is a QUIET one. I have a 5yo field bred English Cocker. I rarely have to say anything to him the entire time in the field.

I should of said this before, but he is obiedience trained and has been on pen raised birds and has done great. However, I have seen young dogs kind of loose their head and need to be reeled back in. Hopefully we will have a great hunt. It is going to be fun either way.

I def agree that it is never the dogs fault... It is almost always the lack of attention needed for good training.... my opinion is that if you are bringing a young dog in the field there should be not correction rather just let the dog hunt.... Just commical watching guys scream and yell all day at their dogs...

KCWIEM,

That is what I am planning on doing. This is my first upland dog I have trained, and it is certainly different than training duck dogs, so it has taken some getting used to. The dog has to have fun before he will make a good gun dog, so the plan this trip is just to let him roll and learn from the birds. Wild birds will teach them more than a trainer ever can.

KCWIEM,

Just let me know know where you're hunting and I'll stay away. I'm getting a new GSP next month who's started but I'm going to take her out and find out what she knows. I'm new to having a gun dog, so I'll be one of the guys you complain about. Although I intend to work on her so maybe next season she'll be better! I'll mostly hunt alone too.

Sig,

You don't have to be the type of guy that I am talking about..... Just because you have a pup does not mean that you will be yealling and screaming and blowing whistles all day... I assume since you said something about you trianing him that his obedience training is going good.... Happy Hunting

The operative word here is "Training". I see too many guys who do not spend enough time with their dogs. And training doesn't have to be hours each day. You can accomplish a lot with 15 minutes of yard work each day and getting the dog it's exercise. The group I hunted in SD with this year included two dogs that obviously did not get enough work in. Their masters spent way too much time yelling and hacking their dogs in attempts to keep them close enough. Too many birds flushed out of gun range and too much noise in the field for my taste. That type of setting isn't going to work for me next year with a young setter pup still learning to hold staunch. Not a good situation to pair him with out of control flushing dogs. I'll be hunting that dog alone a lot.

Back