Prospects

haymaker

Since it has been a month without a post I guess I will start one by saying that I think this year is looking encouraging. There is a long way to go but I think it is better than last year at this point.

That is good to hear.I usually make it to the Britton area a few times each year and last year was wet and tough. Thanks for the good news.

All of the guys I’ve spoken with have the same opinion. Birds appear to have survived winter well. Crops are going in ahead of the 5 year average and I’d have a good nesting season it could be a good year. Long way to go but an encouraging start so far.

Its always a good time in SD, just some years you bag more birds than others! This year i'm bringing a buddy and we are going to try both ducks and pheasants, will be a blast. This will be his first time west. Thanks for the update Haymaker.

Crop report shows 86% of the corn in the ground. Above the 5 year average and way ahead of last year. Fingers crossed for good weather and a good hatch.

Remember to get your nonresident waterfowl license application into the lottery.
Yep have the date set on my calendar for when the app period opens.

our fire dept has pumped my basement twice so far this season but the water keeps coming and has no where to go, the good news is our fields got planted

SD corn is 95% planted and 72% emerged which is outstanding. Beans and flowers ahead of last years pace and at or ahead of 5 year average so looking good there also. Things continue to point towards the possibility of a good year. Fingers crossed for good hatching weather.

Haymaker - first hand opinion from your area?

SD corn is 95% planted and 72% emerged which is outstanding. Beans and flowers ahead of last years pace and at or ahead of 5 year average so looking good there also. Things continue to point towards the possibility of a good year. Fingers crossed for good hatching weather.
If we get through 1 more month without a disaster, the southeastern part of the state should have about as good a spring as can reasonably be hoped for. Heading into winter, there were considerably more birds than a lot of people thought. They'd just made themselves scarce during much of the hunting season. Winter wasn't bad. I'm pretty optimistic & I'm really looking forward to the GF&P coming out with last year's harvest & adjusted preseason population estimates.

I've been out there 3 times in the past 7 weeks or so...the last two visits were a couple days each, all I did was drive around and look at birds...they were everywhere...yes, good season last year, VERY good December and early January...I was part of a big group hunt (3-4 hours) the last saturday of the season, we killed over 80 birds, saw a couple thousand or more...conditions this spring look really good to me, would have thought it was gonna be too wet, but I don't think that at this point...my ground was wet about 2 weeks ago to the point that disking my food plots was tough to do, but that is due to the residue retaining the moisture...but overall, crops are pretty much planted, cover looks green and lush, and birds are plentiful...and the weather looks pretty darned good over the next 7+ days....

Back