Private Property laws

my2britts

Does anyone know if you can hunt unposted private property in Colorado? I know you can in most states but am unsure of Colorado. Thanks

Private Property

Private property does not have to be posted to retain its private character for hunters. If you are on private land without permission, you can be cited for trespassing regardless of whether it is posted. Some states, I believe the Dakotas, allow "road hunting," that is hunting the the road right-of-way up to the fence line so long as the land on that side of the road is not posted. This is the only exception I have ever heard of in pheasant country to the general rule that private land cannot be gone upon without permission. In Kansas, if the land is posted, a hunter without written permission in possession can be cited by the game warden without a complaint being first lodged by the land owner or possessor. In summary, it is a myth that unposted private property is generally open to hunting without permission.

Private Property

I beleive that the term "Private Property" tells you everything that you need to know to answer the question. Good luck!

I carry a preprinted form statement saying I have permission from the owner. When I'm there getting permission I have them sign it. I rarely have had one refuse to sign the permission slip.---Bob

The only state that I'm aware of that a hunter can legally enter unposted private land to hunt without permission is North Dakota, although it is highly recommended you ask regardless. And If I'm not mistaken hunting in unharvested crops regardless of posted or not is still by permission only.

Last edited:
The only state that I'm aware of that a hunter can legally enter unposted private land to hunt without permission is North Dakota, although it is highly recommended you ask regardless. And If I'm not mistaken hunting in unharvested crops regardless of posted or not is still by permission only.

I beleive they are having a discussion on this issue in the ND legislature this session. Anyone from ND have an update?
________
FLOOD INSURANCE DICUSSION

Last edited:
Back