Pressure cooker - you need to buy one

519vx

After frustrating myself trying to salvage legs and thighs from my birds, I've found a good solution. Last week I bought a pressure cooker pot at Walmart for about $30.

It worked great. I threw 5 pair of leg/thigh sections into the pot and covered them with water. Sealed the pit and let them cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes once the pot started to steam.

Once done let the legs cool and you'll be amazed how easy it is to shred the meat off. Have made a batch of pheasant noodle soup and a batch of jambalaya using the slow cooker. Wish I would have known about this years ago.

Last edited:
Pressure cookers are also handy (for me at least) when the bird has been hit "too good," and I want to examine the meat in minute detail to pick the shot and some feathers out. The breasts are moist, tender, and separate easily. They are also a most efficient use of fuel, doing in 10 minutes what an oven would take a much longer time for.

Pre-microwave, pressure cookers were the fast preparation tool of choice, and used for cuts of meat that were generally tougher. I think folks got wary of them with the stories of exploding pots---greatly exaggerated, and not likely if the cook is in the kitchen, preparing the rest of the meal.

Have fun, be safe.

Sounds like a great christmas gift idea for the wife! Hee hee hee.

Thanks for this. I still, even after doing the pulling the out with a pliers trick, am not convinced it is worth the hassle. Will give this a try. :cheers:

Thanks for this. I still, even after doing the pulling the out with a pliers trick, am not convinced it is worth the hassle. Will give this a try. :cheers:

I tried the pliers and broken leg/boot method and all I got was frustrated. The slow cooker worked well where I could sit at the table once the legs cooled and easily hand shuck the meat. Once cooked and tender from the cooker it slides off the tendons fairly easily.

The only "problem" that I had was that the dogs followed me all around the kitchen once I took the legs out of the cooker. :D

I tried the pliers and broken leg/boot method and all I got was frustrated. The slow cooker worked well where I could sit at the table once the legs cooled and easily hand shuck the meat. Once cooked and tender from the cooker it slides off the tendons fairly easily.

The only "problem" that I had was that the dogs followed me all around the kitchen once I took the legs out of the cooker. :D

I agree.

And I too would be following you around the kitchen! :cheers:

I think I have one or two of them down in the canning cellar.. Gonna have to try them.

Possession limits here in Wisconsin are the most detrimental thing to stocking up on legs and making soup or a pheasant salad. Do you guys just do 4 birds minus the breast at a time?

Possession limits here in Wisconsin are the most detrimental thing to stocking up on legs and making soup or a pheasant salad. Do you guys just do 4 birds minus the breast at a time?

Very good point wisturk...but keep in mind that birds shot at a game preserve/hunt club and training birds do not count toward possession limits. For me and the wife, 8 leg/thighs is enough meat when I'm making soup, lasagna, jambalaya, etc. Just be sure to keep receipts for training birds and/or game farm hunts. I also kept my South Dakota license as I brought back 6 birds from there.

Possession limits aren't a problem around my house, phez meat goes fast. :)

Long slow crock pot cooking in broth, a little wine, etc. does the trick too.

i have no pheasants in my freezer....those are chickens :thumbsup:

you bring up a good point though and i guess i never thought of it until now. I have my receipts from the game farm, better hang on to them.

Last edited:
slow cooking

we use a crock pot, you go out today and buy a pressure cooker and you go to jail as a bomb terrorist. the older model had a habit of blowing up even before the terrorist got the idea.. slow and easy is a great way to go and besides, you can taste it as you go along.

cheers

Pressure Cookers are a good way to get pheasant legs and parts eater friendly.
What is this crap?
No one is going to go to jail pressure cooking up some pheasant legs.
Common.

pressure cookers

I think I have one or two of them down in the canning cellar.. Gonna have to try them.
depending on how old, really check them out, one of the reasons that they lost popularity is that they blew up on the stove, that's not a joke,

cheers

Back