Preferred late season cover?

JPH

Now that most crops are out, what type of cover do you concentrate your late season hunting on? I suppose the time of day has something to do with cover choice. Roost cover early and late. Do you think birds spend most of the mid day in the cut corn/milo feeding or do they feed and get back to cover fairly quickly?

Trying to formulate a plan of attack for a late season hunt. Thanks for any insights.

Now that most crops are out, what type of cover do you concentrate your late season hunting on? I suppose the time of day has something to do with cover choice. Roost cover early and late. Do you think birds spend most of the mid day in the cut corn/milo feeding or do they feed and get back to cover fairly quickly?

Trying to formulate a plan of attack for a late season hunt. Thanks for any insights.

JPH, the milder the weather (wind/temp) the more the birds will spreadout into picked fields all days. Harsher weather will push them back to edges and to heavy thermal cover during day. I always like heavy grass and cattails or even tree belts. If you don't birds keep trying something different unti you do.

The problem is, you need enough people to cover escape routs when they are in the thick cover of cattail slews and shelter belts or they just out move you. Pick the size of the cover your working, to match the size of your hunting crew. There's no use two people working a 10 acre slew.

If it's windy and cold, as UGUIDE said. They will hunker down in a slew and maybe not move all day.

Back