prairie storm

Diehardpheasant

what choke are people using with prairie storm ammo? i tried some last season in 20g #5 and even with I/C choke i was turning my birds into hamburger. i stopped using it but thought about giving it a second try. but maybe its not worth it on PA birds.

If in Pa you are hunting put and take birds PS may be a little much. My group hunts wild birds in South Dakota every year and we all use PS. As far as choke tubes go IC or Cylinder would be a good choose. In our 3 day hunt we normally shot 60 or 70 birds with very few cripples or destroyed birds. Ps shots a tight pattern compared to other loads so you my have to let them get out a little.

I use improve cylinder all season running a pointer but only use prairie storms for my 2nd or 3rd shot... #6 early backed by #4 rest of season...

The choke Carlson's choke they sell for prairie storm shells is light modified early season & a improve modified for the late season choke...

I was wondering if anybody went as far as patterning this load with different chokes/yardages?

I made the choke mistake with my first use of this shell last Dec and started out shooting M or maybe even IM. Never hit a bird so hard at 30 yards before.

Then read box and should have been using IC. I do think C would be a good option earlier season perhaps. I do feel strongly this load reduces cripples big time.

We had a good discussion on this last year, I think. Seems like the opinions were you either you love them or Hate them. but one constant opinion was they pattern tight. I think a couple guys actually patterned the shells. IMO I would use C when shooting them. I was in the camp that dislike these shells. I will agree with Uguide that the do cut down on cripples.

I'm also in the do not like camp for PS. They pattern too tight and ruin too much of the bird. I do believe you would have few cripples but also more misses due to the tight choke. Seems to me that your could accomplish the same thing using less expensive ammo and a Full choke. I personally shoot IC all season.

i think i will give it one more try with C and if still to much ruined meat i will save for my SD trip next fall. thank for the comments. for the mot part fiochi golden pheasant works well. i bought a box of Winchester rooster but have not tried it yet.

Praire storm is made for wild birds. I'm from Ohio, so I know what you're facing as far as put and take birds. I use federal wingshok 1 1/8 oz 6s, and after the release dates Remington heavy game loads 1 1/4oz 6s. Both of these rounds open up fast, and don't destroy the meat if you let the birds get past 20 yards.

Talk about destroying meat?

When I was a young and foolish teenager, my hunting buddy and I used to try to out shot each other if we happened to flush a rooster while walking together. Well a rooster started up and it was so close and I fired so fast, I massacred the poor bird. When I got to cleaning it at home, I extracted the green plastic wad from the mangled bird carcass. I was using Remington Express 1 1/4 #6 ammo at the time.

My dad scolded us kids for our bad hunting practice and being our family never wasted any game we shot, mom made pheasant soup from it. That still sticks in my mind to this very day.

I used them in my side by side 20 gauge IC mod fixed choke combo. I used 6 shot in IC and 5 shot in the mod side. The only complaint is that the barrels seems dirty after shooting them but for the 20 gauge they work great.

Talk about destroying meat?

When I got to cleaning it at home, I extracted the green plastic wad from the mangled bird carcass.

LOL. We had one like that last year week 9. My good friends kid who shoots on the high school trap team of course. Thought he was quick draw McGraw.

Well I can tell we were raised by meat hunters because my old man would not have thought that was too cool either.

Funny thing is his dad and I used to trapes across Iowa hunting pheas and I can still remember one bird he shot with his 870 full choke. We were having a similar little competition:) Ah the younger years.

Back