Prairie chickens

yup, i hear the cost is $1,116.00 per bird.........wow, are they f-ing crazy or what? your G&F dollars at work. :eek:

Anybody els see that Illinois is bringing in prairie chickens from kansas?

I heard about it on AM radio the other day. Last I heard our Prairie Chicken program has not been going all too well. Despite the massive area they have to propagate them. We'll see if these new birds help any.

At one time we had 14 million prairie chickens here in IL. We're now down below 100 birds (I believe):(

I heard about it on AM radio the other day. Last I heard our Prairie Chicken program has not been going all too well. Despite the massive area they have to propagate them. We'll see if these new birds help any.

At one time we had 14 million prairie chickens here in IL. We're now down below 100 birds (I believe):(

Thats a lot of chickens!!!!

yup, i hear the cost is $1,116.00 per bird.........wow, are they f-ing crazy or what? your G&F dollars at work. :eek:

Does the G&F get tax payer money? Or do they run off license sales? Questioning Because I don't know how it works out there.

I think when agencies do not work with the public and other wildlife conservation efforts it becomes real expensive. I found out that our CPW is trying to get Chukars from Oregon and other areas. I talked to the biologist in charge and he didn't think they could do it this year because they couldn't catch what they wanted in a certain amount of time and they did not want to fly out and get them a dozen at a time. I put them in touch with our local PF chapter and hopefully start some fund raisers to help the costs. They do not want to pen them up. Catch them and fly them out. With volunteer help you would think they could catch what they needed and fly them out and not spend so much money. But if it is not their money they get carried away. Hope it works for you guy's.:cheers:

There wille many pissed off taxpayers! Giving the state of the economy, not sure the timing was coordinated. Why do these projects cost so much?

I have no direct knowledge of the project, but costs are going to be high as the effort of trapping, blood testing, transporting, and all the other unknowns add up in a hurry. As for the feasibility of the program, I think there is great merit to get away from the "all eggs in one basket" situation that we are in somewhat due to habitat destruction. Should a new or old disease affect the already "stressed" population in Kansas and surrounding states, it would be nice to know that there is a seed house existing somewhere else.

You might take some pride in re-establishing something that was in your state in astronomical numbers before WE moved in and pulled their habitat out from under them. I guess I'm glad I'm in the over 50 group. Younger hunters will never have the opportunities I've had and they may well play witness to the loss of a number of species to hunting, or worse yet, continued existence on this planet. The lesser prairie chicken's plight could well be the first of many. Woodcock could be next........

As an aside, more than likely this is being paid for by PR dollars that are the result of sportsmen's license fees and the excise tax on sporting goods. Again, I have no first-hand knowledge of that, but if that is the case, this reporter's slanted article (Kansas thread) is more than a little off base! General tax payers are probably not involved here!

Last edited:
As an aside, more than likely this is being paid for by PR dollars that are the result of sportsmen's license fees and the excise tax on sporting goods. Again, I have no first-hand knowledge of that, but if that is the case, this reporter's slanted article (Kansas thread) is more than a little off base! General tax payers are probably not involved here!

I'm guessing that's the case along with some state funds from hunting licensees and not-for-profit orgs too:confused:. I'll have to look into it to find out some more.

Like many things, if you look at the up-front costs without considering the long-term benefits, it will look extravagant. Prorate those costs across the next 50-100 years should the chickens fill their new home, and the cost is insignificant. Also too, sometimes right now is the right time despite the economy because to wait may mean it never coming to fruition.

When Turkey hunting this year I was checked by a warden and we talked about the Prairie Chicken program. He did not know the exact population but he said the chickens were not growing in population as hoped so the KS birds were being brought in to help the efforts. I for one am 100% behind bringing them back as it is a shame that we have changed the habitat and landscape enough to almost wipe them out. Not sure if it is the only place but the site we discussed is off rt 33 around Newton, IL. I come from a family of farmers so I see the farming side but we have to maintain both!:)

In many cases game swaps are a wash with the states as they trade other fish and or game with the reciprocating state or another state in need.

Back