Post Hail Recovery

TBo

On June 20th, I had some the worst hail on record in these parts. 20 minutes of pingpong to golfballs. The last 10 minutes were 50-60mph wind driven. I have some pics that I will post of house. 5ft corn was taken to 6inch tall, beans you couldnt even see they were planted. Plum thickets and small trees had the bark beat off the north side of the plants. CRP was beat flat, flat. Good news was my quarter where, the majority of that severe damage was across the top 1/3. The middle 1/3 was moderate and the south 1/3 was slight. Beans mostly standing and corn only slightly stripped.

I have no illusions, I know that alot of birds and chicks died. So the question becomes when and how do I restock birds. I have the cover extremly diverse with about 60 acres of row crops, 20 acres of water, draws, and 60 acres of filterstrips, CREP in 7 acre blocks. I have milo food plots in about all blocks, and we have corn/beans as row crops. I trap nest busters in the spring.

The other good news is I hear quail whistling almost daily but I havent seen a hen with chicks since....I think I probably lost 80% of the birds.

How should I go about my restock plan? Whats the best plan for getting tame birds converted to somewhat wild ones?

You can't make tame birds into wild birds. Most of what "birds" use to stay alive is learned behavior. They learn it from momma or pappa, whoever brooded them. The research on the surrogators is very similar to every other way people stock birds. All of them are a 95% failure. The birds that do stay in the population raise broods just as unprepared as they were, if they raise any at all. Time will repair what is lost. There is no other way. Keep making the habitat available and it will eventually be filled.

Last edited:
The speed of recovery will depend upon how large the shadow of the hail event was, how many died from it, how the habitat was affected, and what you do between now and next season to mitigate it. Yes, weather and carry over birds will be critical in the healing process. However, fertility goes up in low density situations and the recovery can be as short as 1 year. Unfortunately, stocking pen-reared birds is only effective if you are following closely to harvest them. Most studies show 95% loss in 30-90 days. That makes for very expensive survivors that don't contribute to the breeding success in following year at the same rate as wild birds.

What was hit by hail!

Pictures were unreal. Sure seams like this year has produced storms with bigger hail.

Back