Poor Shooting

Enjoyed the video. Its nice to watch people hunting something other than ducks that I am used to. Also, real nice country side compared to our marsh delta. As the old saying goes in basketball applies to hunting "shoot until you get hot and when you get hot shoot". Good luck out there.
100% agree with your sentiments. I am taking today off and I will go hit some clays. Must get better.

Took the day off yesterday. Hit the clays for 1 hour. Money well spent. Hit 5 stations and worked on mounting fast while shooting slow. I made certain that I brought the shotgun to my cheek.

Bring on the snow and cold.

Good plan. Typically I try and shoot 400 rounds before I start the season. Last few years haven't had the time to do it. I did have cataract surgery earlier this year. Boy that has helped.

I missed 2 birds yesterday. 1 which I missed 2X.
Still not quite used to this o/u. Spent 40 years with my old 870 so will take a little time to readjust.
Also notice I am way slower to react so I do rush things.

Walk,
Two tips I can make to a wing shooter.
#1 — Practice mounting the gun at home. Do this for at least 10 -20 minutes once a week during season. Pick a spot on the wall and throw the gun up. I like corners of where walls and ceilings meet. You then can turn slightly away from that point, mount the gun and swing through to the point you have selected on the wall. Your upper body should start the swing as you mount the gun. This should become one fluid motion as the gun rises to your shoulder. Do this for both left and right crossers.
Gun mount should be nothing more than muscle memory. Practice this and you will have fewer misses.
#2 — Gun handling. Port arms is the worst way to carry a gun when your dogs are birdy. When the dogs begin to get birdy move the rear of the gun underneath your right arm so the comb of the stock is about a palms width from your armpit. The muzzle should then be tilted up so the bead is directly below your right eye’s sight line. This way the gun is pointed whatever way you are looking.
When you mount the gun from this position you will note that it comes up easy and flows with the movement of your body. You’re not fighting to get the gun on your shoulder thus preventing you from starting the swing with your upper body.
#3 — Don’t look at the gun. Look at the bird. Concentrate on it. If you mechanics are good than your hand eye coordination will do the rest. If you notice a quarterback never looks at the ball. He just concentrates on where he wants it to go and his muscle memory guides it forward to its target.

Great video as always. Birds are really thin this year but you got into them. Good job.

Regards,
Matt

Walk, Here is my guess on your shooting. It appears that dogs are out 35-40 yards when they get the birds up. So you have very little time to hit the bird. Suggestion. Put one dog at a time and get the dog in closer to you. Try and keep the dog within 20 yards or so. I bet your shooting improves immediately. I have the same problem with my Brit. I put a long check cord on her and if need be bump her. I had the same problem this year while hunting Roosters and Grouse. Once I brought her in things changed dramatically.
Well Go Pro makes them look a lot farther than it actually is so probably not 35-40 yards my guess.

Walk213 you are shooting too fast when they come up. Got to lead them more before you pull the trigger.

Merry Christmas Everyone! And I sure miss that Co hunting and great Vid
Now my know it all, long 2 cents worth, and I know most guys already know this but wasn't mentioned, but it helped me increase my shooting efficiency 10 fold.
Finding a shell that was right for my gun. Patterning my shells every year at different distances. Any new batch of shells, and always a couple from each box. Mostly sticking with the same brand. Back in the day, my brother started reloading shells for us, even though we had 2 different guns he came up with some super fast 4s for phes and 8s for doves. Didn’t need much lead at all even at 35-50 yards. Anyway, all about confidence in knowing you got a good pattern at what distances. Even after going back to store bought shells has kept me shooting well. Had a friend who always bought what shell was on sale and he was a terrible shooter. You’d be surprised at the hole some shells have in a pattern at even 30 yards.
Anyway, hope this helps someone new.

Walk, Here is my guess on your shooting. It appears that dogs are out 35-40 yards when they get the birds up. So you have very little time to hit the bird. Suggestion. Put one dog at a time and get the dog in closer to you. Try and keep the dog within 20 yards or so. I bet your shooting improves immediately. I have the same problem with my Brit. I put a long check cord on her and if need be bump her. I had the same problem this year while hunting Roosters and Grouse. Once I brought her in things changed dramatically.
That’s a good point. I usually hunt two Brittanys at once and it’s a struggle to keep
Them close. One dog at a time and they do great. Makes sense. Dog Competition. Whenever I hunt them alone it’s always closer and I seem to
Do better if the birds are there.

Funny thing! And the kind of poor shooting I’m sure that’s happens to us all!
This morning when hunting a known island of cover that my hunting buddy and I know holds birds.
We walked into the island straight into the wind and the Dogs held tight at the edge!
We pushed in and a rooster flushed into the wind and was quickly behind us. We both turned and shot twice. Missing terribly.
Then a dozen more roosters came popping out as we scrambled to reload our double barrels.
Guess the point is. Be patient!! Harder said than done.
We had a great laugh after that flush!!
Keep hunting and shooting! Moral of the story!! Have a sense of humor about your missing birds! !!

I missed 2 birds yesterday. 1 which I missed 2X.
Still not quite used to this o/u. Spent 40 years with my old 870 so will take a little time to readjust.
Also notice I am way slower to react so I do rush things.
Sorry to hear that. I went to the range with both of my shotguns. I put up 100 clays+. I was good enough with both my O/U and my semiautomatic. I spent time on clays that offered a realistic challenge. Best I could do to improve.

Funny thing! And the kind of poor shooting I’m sure that’s happens to us all!
This morning when hunting a known island of cover that my hunting buddy and I know holds birds.
We walked into the island straight into the wind and the Dogs held tight at the edge!
We pushed in and a rooster flushed into the wind and was quickly behind us. We both turned and shot twice. Missing terribly.
Then a dozen more roosters came popping out as we scrambled to reload our double barrels.
Guess the point is. Be patient!! Harder said than done.
We had a great laugh after that flush!!
Keep hunting and shooting! Moral of the story!! Have a sense of humor about your missing birds! !!
Happens all of the time to me. Hit a hot spot and I think that I am ready. I then miss the first rooster before 10 more jump afterwards. The birds must tell the first guy to sacrifice himself for the greater good.

Great video! Sorry to hear about the shooting woes. Lots of good input here. See the bird at 2:45. I know GoPros can be deceiving, but with that bird in particular, it really appears that you're pulling out in front, & then stopping/slowing your swing before/as you pull the trigger.
You're spot on. I saw the same issues. I am not swinging. I am trying to use my hands to catch up. Bad technique. I am hopefully by it after time at the range.

Walk,
Two tips I can make to a wing shooter.
#1 — Practice mounting the gun at home. Do this for at least 10 -20 minutes once a week during season. Pick a spot on the wall and throw the gun up. I like corners of where walls and ceilings meet. You then can turn slightly away from that point, mount the gun and swing through to the point you have selected on the wall. Your upper body should start the swing as you mount the gun. This should become one fluid motion as the gun rises to your shoulder. Do this for both left and right crossers.
Gun mount should be nothing more than muscle memory. Practice this and you will have fewer misses.
#2 — Gun handling. Port arms is the worst way to carry a gun when your dogs are birdy. When the dogs begin to get birdy move the rear of the gun underneath your right arm so the comb of the stock is about a palms width from your armpit. The muzzle should then be tilted up so the bead is directly below your right eye’s sight line. This way the gun is pointed whatever way you are looking.
When you mount the gun from this position you will note that it comes up easy and flows with the movement of your body. You’re not fighting to get the gun on your shoulder thus preventing you from starting the swing with your upper body.
#3 — Don’t look at the gun. Look at the bird. Concentrate on it. If you mechanics are good than your hand eye coordination will do the rest. If you notice a quarterback never looks at the ball. He just concentrates on where he wants it to go and his muscle memory guides it forward to its target.

Great video as always. Birds are really thin this year but you got into them. Good job.

Regards,
Matt
Tremendous insights, Matt. Thank you very much. Please make a video of your instructions. I am certain that many chat room contributors will appreciate the help you are offering.

There's been a few shooting threads this year which has got me thinking when I shoot...

I am right handed. I am 100% this year when shooting from left to right - I think I am swinging through the bird. I am well below 50%, probably even below 25% on right to left or straight away. Right to left I don't think I ever swing through the bird, I think I'm behind it the entire time. Straight away I think I might be high on them.

There's been a few shooting threads this year which has got me thinking when I shoot...

I am right handed. I am 100% this year when shooting from left to right - I think I am swinging through the bird. I am well below 50%, probably even below 25% on right to left or straight away. Right to left I don't think I ever swing through the bird, I think I'm behind it the entire time. Straight away I think I might be high on them.
I started the season off 4 for 4. Downhill there after. My going away shot used to be butter. Not so much now. I try to bring the barrel up under the bird. I cannot tell where I am missing.

From my videos, I can tell that I am not swinging through the bird. That will change on my next trip.

Hunt well.

Back