Poor Shooting

Been, there done that with the same results. However as the eternal optimist you keep hunting & shooting. Sooner or later, in my case later you get one with an unbelievable, out of this world shot and it helps make up for all the misses. Well, maybe a little bit anyway. Ha.
A real video in real time, thanks for the ride along.

Thanks for watching. I know that it happens to all of us....OK, most of us. I started out the season 4 for 4 and feeling pretty solid. Now I am 7 for a lot. Going to try to get some clays practice if possible. Regain some confidence. My dogs are beat up. They deserve a better partner. Shoot straight!

Enjoyed your video and watching the dogs work. I have made many trips where I have let the dogs down by shooting poorly. Posting the videos of missed birds is still makes for good action footage and is a reality of most of us who hunt pheasants. You will get the next rooster!

Thanks for watching. We walked close to 10 miles, and my dogs were beat up at the end. It is so dry in Colorado. We need moisture badly. Like you, I persevere, and I will get it back again. Admittedly, my confidence was low, and I didn't take a few shots that I would have tried two weeks back. I will get back at it soon. Shoot straight, and good luck with your season.

Keep filming and posting your videos, it keeps up the excitement on stretches between hunts. I walked 8 miles of snowy cattails on Saturday and my 2 labs didn't move much today.

Keep filming and posting your videos, it keeps up the excitement on stretches between hunts. I walked 8 miles of snowy cattails on Saturday and my 2 labs didn't move much today.
I appreciate you watching despite the ugly results. I have not yet hunted birds in cattails. 8 miles in them must be a fun walk. Shoot straight and good luck the rest of your season.

Thanks for the video! Great to see decent bird number in Colorado. As far as the shooting goes? Don’t worry about it. It will turn back on as quickly as it turned off. Had a bad day in Kansas last week but was luckily able to turn it around the next day. We know you are good, have seen your other videos!!

Tha
Thanks for the video! Great to see decent bird number in Colorado. As far as the shooting goes? Don’t worry about it. It will turn back on as quickly as it turned off. Had a bad day in Kansas last week but was luckily able to turn it around the next day. We know you are good, have seen your other videos!!
Thank you for watching. Glad that you had a good trip to Kansas. I need to make that trip happen next season. Not sure of I have time this year. I appreciate the nice words of encouragement. I lost my confidence as the day progressed. I actually didn't shoot at 1 rooster because I just didn't think that I had a legitimate shot...and I did. I will get it back. Perhaps a trip to the range this week. Hunt well and good luck.

Ross

just finished watching your video. Thanks for sharing!! It really helps bridge the gap until we get our next opportunity to chase these wily birds. We have all had those "off" days. redemption is sweet! sure fun watching those dogs work!!
I guided for +35 years, and observed lots of shooting. For me, missing boils down to one or more of these three mistakes;

1. Rushing the shot. I always think about mounting the gun quickly and taking my time on the first shot. Rushing leads to missing the first shot. I've done it more than I'd like to admit. Often (not always) you compensate and kill the bird on shot #2, but rushing (to me) caused the initial miss
2. Peeking (I believe this is the #1 reason for missed shots). - lifting your head when swinging your gun at the target. This happens to everyone. I really focus on keeping my cheek tight to the stock, and my line of sight straight down the rib)
3) insufficient lead (#2 reason for missing)- this is for crossing shots, and I managed to accomplish this on our fall trip. Right to left crosser at roughly 35 yards. No excuse to miss but it happened, and no doubt in my mind I was behind the bird.

Nobody likes missing. Understanding why, so we can dial in and shoot well, is something I think about all the time.
I'm sure you will get it dialed back in walk213, & thanks again for sharing.

just finished watching your video. Thanks for sharing!! It really helps bridge the gap until we get our next opportunity to chase these wily birds. We have all had those "off" days. redemption is sweet! sure fun watching those dogs work!!
I guided for +35 years, and observed lots of shooting. For me, missing boils down to one or more of these three mistakes;

1. Rushing the shot. I always think about mounting the gun quickly and taking my time on the first shot. Rushing leads to missing the first shot. I've done it more than I'd like to admit. Often (not always) you compensate and kill the bird on shot #2, but rushing (to me) caused the initial miss
2. Peeking (I believe this is the #1 reason for missed shots). - lifting your head when swinging your gun at the target. This happens to everyone. I really focus on keeping my cheek tight to the stock, and my line of sight straight down the rib)
3) insufficient lead (#2 reason for missing)- this is for crossing shots, and I managed to accomplish this on our fall trip. Right to left crosser at roughly 35 yards. No excuse to miss but it happened, and no doubt in my mind I was behind the bird.

Nobody likes missing. Understanding why, so we can dial in and shoot well, is something I think about all the time.
I'm sure you will get it dialed back in walk213, & thanks again for sharing.
Thank you for watching as well as offering your professional insights.

You're first 2 points are absolutely spot on. You can see me panic when the roosters flush. A poor mount, followed by a rushed first shot. Consciously, I know that I have time. As the past misses enter the back of my brain, my actual reaction is undermined. I must get some practice in sooner rather than later. I just need to get my mojo back.

Misses hurt because I feel like I let down my dogs. They work so hard, and to not realize the fruits of their labor hurts. I have a 3.5 hour ride home to stew in my disappointment. Not ideal.

Hunt well! I will let you know when I turn it around.

I enjoy your videos. What I have found is the more I think about it the more I press. Enjoy the day and shake it off. I can be extremely streaky. I have remembered trips I shot like a champ followed by days I shot like a chump. I really don’t worry about it much anymore

I enjoy your videos. What I have found is the more I think about it the more I press. Enjoy the day and shake it off. I can be extremely streaky. I have remembered trips I shot like a champ followed by days I shot like a chump. I really don’t worry about it much anymore
Yep, shake it off and move on to the next flush.If I can just get one for my dog, I'm satisfied, and my dog loves it.

Thank you for watching. You know the feeling. I think most of the people that participate on this site know the feeling. It was hard last Friday because the opportunities were there, and I just couldn't get it together.

Enjoy your season.

When hunting is hard and you walk for hours without seeing a bird, the shock of the flush and the desire to make a good shot often lead to a miss. Not sure what you do about it. When hunting is good, I, at least, start making good shots.

When hunting is hard and you walk for hours without seeing a bird, the shock of the flush and the desire to make a good shot often lead to a miss. Not sure what you do about it. When hunting is good, I, at least, start making good shots.
100% accurate. Add 3 hours of sleep, and a 3.5 hour drive, and reflexes suffer. Not an excuse, but my reality. It is also helpful when I kill the first bird I look at. My confidence goes up, and I tend to relax a bit.

Hunt well.

Walk, Here is my guess on your shooting. It appears that dogs are out 35-40 yards when they get the birds up. So you have very little time to hit the bird. Suggestion. Put one dog at a time and get the dog in closer to you. Try and keep the dog within 20 yards or so. I bet your shooting improves immediately. I have the same problem with my Brit. I put a long check cord on her and if need be bump her. I had the same problem this year while hunting Roosters and Grouse. Once I brought her in things changed dramatically.

Enjoyed the video. Its nice to watch people hunting something other than ducks that I am used to. Also, real nice country side compared to our marsh delta. As the old saying goes in basketball applies to hunting "shoot until you get hot and when you get hot shoot". Good luck out there.

Walk, Here is my guess on your shooting. It appears that dogs are out 35-40 yards when they get the birds up. So you have very little time to hit the bird. Suggestion. Put one dog at a time and get the dog in closer to you. Try and keep the dog within 20 yards or so. I bet your shooting improves immediately. I have the same problem with my Brit. I put a long check cord on her and if need be bump her. I had the same problem this year while hunting Roosters and Grouse. Once I brought her in things changed dramatically.
Thank you for watching. One thing that a GoPro does not do is capture depth. I can tell you that every rooster in the video should have been killed. They all were within my range.

Echo (6) is a veteran of hunting wild birds. She forgives my misses and hunts hard all day. She will pursue a running bird with vigor. This can result in long distance flushes. Generally, I know when Echo is about to make it happen. I have shot over 200 wild birds over her.

Josey (2.5) is evolving as a bird dog. She has come a long way this season. She will work within 15 yards of me, or she may go hunt for someone else. We need to figure that out eventually. I want her to evolve out of being around my boots. She has to gain confidence, and I must help her along.

I appreciate the insights.

Back