Poly Choke Pattern

westksbowhunter

Did some patterning on my 1953 Browning Belgium Sweet 16 with a Poly Choke. With choke set with what I believe is a light modified setting, I got 219 pellets in a 30 inch circle at 30 yds. Kent Ultimate Fast Lead #6 1 ounce load. When I went to what I think is an improved I got 192 and with what I thought was mod was 230 pellets. I felt the light mod setting threw a more even pattern. I don't know if I have figured out this poly Choke and how to set it. Looking at this pattern do you think the Light Mod is too tight?

Attachments

• IMG_20211015_184217369.jpg
    IMG_20211015_184217369.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
May depend on what type of dogs you are hunting with so are closer shots more likely or greater chance to stretch out to say 40 yards. If 40 is more likely that LM is probably a good choice. If under 35 then IC may be better. At end of day neither is right or wrong IMO. Go with what you have the most confidence in.

May depend on what type of dogs you are hunting with so are closer shots more likely or greater chance to stretch out to say 40 yards. If 40 is more likely that LM is probably a good choice. If under 35 then IC may be better. At end of day neither is right or wrong IMO. Go with what you have the most confidence in.
I hunt with retrievers. I shoot birds at 15 yds and I shoot birds at 40 yds. Depends on when they get up and how soon I get on them. I don't know if those setting are LM or IC. Just what I think they are. Just curious as to opinions on that pattern shown.

Last edited:
Did some patterning on my 1953 Browning Belgium Sweet 16 with a Poly Choke. With choke set with what I believe is a light modified setting, I got 219 pellets in a 30 inch circle at 30 yds. Kent Ultimate Fast Lead #6 1 ounce load. When I went to what I think is an improved I got 192 and with what I thought was mod was 230 pellets. I felt the light mod setting threw a more even pattern. I don't know if I have figured out this poly Choke and how to set it. Looking at this pattern do you think the Light Mod is too tight?
Get rid of that pos.

Looks a bit on the tight side but shot shells pattern tighter than when that polychoke was made. But now you know where it's at pattern-wise.

I thought it was tight but I like pattern, just need to try and open it up a little. I will do some more experimenting to day.

Excellent distribution

So I think I have this poly Choke figured out. You tighten all the way down, then back off one full turn back to full choke and then adjust from that point. So here is what the light modified looks like now. 162 pellets at 30 yds and a near perfect shot distribution. The light mod throws a better pattern than imp or mod. I am liking the Poly Choke and shell combo. It patterns better than my new Montefeltro with a Briley Light Mod or factory Benelli chokes. If my new Browning A5 Lightning Sweet 16 will ever get here, I can compare new technology to something 68 years old. I just can't see anything throwing a better shot distribution than this Belgium Sweet with a Poly.

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_091954575.jpg
    IMG_20211016_091954575.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
Again, excellent distribution. I'd stick with those shells. Sounds like if you tighten all the way down you've got a turkey choke.

Get rid of that pos.

That's a real intelligent response. Adjustable chokes can be very good. Give the guy some good advice or don't post.

I think goose thinks it is good advice, and I agree.
I wouldn't have one of those obnoxious things on the end of my barrel, or a cutts compensator for that matter. That's why West got in the gun so cheap. As always your mileage may vary.

I think goose thinks it is good advice, and I agree.
I wouldn't have one of those obnoxious things on the end of my barrel, or a cutts compensator for that matter. That's why West got in the gun so cheap. As always your mileage may vary.
Arts Gun Shop quoted me $2500 on this gun with the poly choke. This poly choke patterns better than my Briley tube. Once I figured out how to use it, I like it. Maybe some of the complaints are user errors. I doubt the old timers would have put them on if they didn't work. And I doubt Browning would have offered to put them on if they didn't. Arts told me these polys work quite well, and that I should try it before ordering another barrel. I am more confident in Arts than advice from Goose or 5 Stand.

Arts Gun Shop quoted me $2500 on this gun with the poly choke. This poly choke patterns better than my Briley tube. Once I figured out how to use it, I like it. Maybe some of the complaints are user errors. I doubt the old timers would have put them on if they didn't work. And I doubt Browning would have offered to put them on if they didn't. Arts told me these polys work quite well, and that I should try it before ordering another barrel. I am more confident in Arts than advice from Goose or 5 Stand
I never claimed it wouldn't work. I claimed that it was obnoxious. So my advice would be to sell it to Arts for $2,500. Take your profit and run.

I never claimed it wouldn't work. I claimed that it was obnoxious. So my advice would be to sell it to Arts for $2,500. Take your profit and run.
Well it patterns terrific so for now its staying here. I wouldn't get rid of the gun anyway, it's in excellent condition. Matching serial numbers with barrel and receiver and the poly was put on by Browning. I would be foolish to sell it. Arts said in excellent condition it is worth $2500 if it is near mint then $3500. I am going to go ahead and buy a 12 gauge, then I will have all 3 Belgium A5's. I will pattern my new Sweet 16 Lightening when it gets here but I doubt it will pattern any better than this Poly Choke.

Arts Gun Shop quoted me $2500 on this gun with the poly choke. This poly choke patterns better than my Briley tube. Once I figured out how to use it, I like it. Maybe some of the complaints are user errors. I doubt the old timers would have put them on if they didn't work. And I doubt Browning would have offered to put them on if they didn't. Arts told me these polys work quite well, and that I should try it before ordering another barrel. I am more confident in Arts than advice from Goose or 5 Stand.
Art’s is a tough place to use as a price comparison. Check out his listings on Guns International then look at similar listings. He is very proud of what he sells.

Art’s is a tough place to use as a price comparison. Check out his listings on Guns International then look at similar listings. He is very proud of what he sells.
His restored guns are high. But the price of Belgium guns are high by all sellers on Guns International. Belgium A5's are bring good money right now. You can't hardly find a used barrel for under $700. Local gun shop has a Belgium 20 Mag in good condition for $2195, not near as nice as mine.

Back