Poll in the latest edition of the PF Magazine

You know, I think we are all interpreting this question differently. And maybe it is a "loaded" question. Maybe even a stupid question. The question was, "what bird dog trait is most important to you as a pheasant hunter?" The key word in the question is "trait'. Webster defines trait as: a distinguishing quality, an inherited characteristic.

With this definition in mind I would have to say that "drive" is a trait since it's an inherited characteristic. Obedience is something that is taught. Thus, I don't think obedience probably should have even been one of the possible answers.

So I change my answer to "Drive" based on the above definition and information. However, I still feel strongly that obedience is extremely important in a hunting dog. This doesn't mean that the dog needs to be "under your feet", it just means that a person needs to be able to control your dog. I've seen too many out of control dogs in the field and it just plain ruins the hunt.

OK, so is everyone now clear on this question???? :D

Yes, that's exactly why my reply is so long winded. I believe obedience is importan, it's just not the #1 thing I'm looking for in a dog.

drive is a trait, obedience is taught. you can't teach drive, it is bred in or it is not, the pup has it or he does not. obedience is easy, consistency is the key....

Nothing said re nose, so I included that in drive as the poll was limited as we all appear to agree.
This goes back to discussions re some trainers who beleive obedience should be taught before exposure to the field and birds. Nonsense. I want to build up use of the nose and desire, drive etc. in that pup and not discourage it by taking any of the fun out of it. As the dog progresses and is taught whoa in the yard, you introduce it slowly or otherwise (depending on how soft or trainable the dog is), in the field.

Nothing said re nose, so I included that in drive as the poll was limited as we all appear to agree.
This goes back to discussions re some trainers who beleive obedience should be taught before exposure to the field and birds. Nonsense. I want to build up use of the nose and desire, drive etc. in that pup and not discourage it by taking any of the fun out of it. As the dog progresses and is taught whoa in the yard, you introduce it slowly or otherwise (depending on how soft or trainable the dog is), in the field.

This is very close to how I see it as well my friend. What a great thread and poll idea. Perhaps someone thoughtful should reconsider how to convey this question and add in a few more selections. Speed and/or endurance, nose as you said, drive, intuition, etc.

I've talked to a bunch of dog trainers and breeders, and the term they use is "bidable", which I take to mean how much the dog wants to please, and consequently how willing the dog is to learn, obey, work with you, etc. (not sure if that's exactly it, but I think at least close). Using that definition, my current dog is about 10x as "bidable" as my lab ever was, and it sure makes him a heck of a lot more pleasant dog to train and hunt over.

Perhaps "bidable" would be a better choice than obedience.

Back