Politics

This has come up before in the past on the public use of federal land during a shutdown. Its very likely that most National Parks will close and they will barricade them. If you enter them when they are closed, you can be cited for trespassing.

With other federal public lands like WPAs and National Forests, etc its not as clear. I would say that if they aren't barricaded or there isn't a sign indicating they are closed, have at it. I know a couple people who went around a barricade at a national forest during the 2019 shutdown and they got in trouble for it.

National parks require substantial staffing…WPA’s don’t…no gate will be closed…no $ to enter. I just hunted WPA’s, no way I’d be kept out due to a govt shutdown…we entered them far from roads in many cases anyway…

There was a government shutdown about 8 years ago or so that supposedly closed the federal lands. I still hunted it, like benelli-banger said, and didn't have much concern about getting in trouble. Even though common sense doesn't always rule the day, I'm confident that it would in the instance of hunting a WPA during a government shutdown. I could be wrong, but I'll go with that until I'm definitely ordered to stay off.

There was a government shutdown about 8 years ago or so that supposedly closed the federal lands. I still hunted it, like benelli-banger said, and didn't have much concern about getting in trouble. Even though common sense doesn't always rule the day, I'm confident that it would in the instance of hunting a WPA during a government shutdown. I could be wrong, but I'll go with that until I'm definitely ordered to stay off.
During a shutdown, who’s out patrolling WPA’s? 🤪

Supposedly I've heard govt workers still work, they just don't get paid. Once a deal is made then they receive back pay.
Depends on whether the position is deemed as essential or not.

Workers in hazardous lines of duty that protect life or property keep working without pay. The rest get sent home and get back pay after it ends.

Most positions in the "land management" line are not considered essential so that's why National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, etc would close.

Depends on whether the position is deemed as essential or not.

Workers in hazardous lines of duty that protect life or property keep working without pay. The rest get sent home and get back pay after it ends.

Most positions in the "land management" line are not considered essential so that's why National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, etc would close.
So the question is whether or not federal game wardens are essential. It is like a branch of law enforcement isn't it?

If the Fed govt shuts down, will we still be able to hunt federal waterfowl production areas?

Access to federal lands including ntl parks would be closed. Only essential employees would be required to work, and those managing fed access lands are not essential. Fed wardens would still be employed, whether or not they would want to run you out I have no idea

State pub hunting would stay open obviously.

Access to federal lands including ntl parks would be closed. Only essential employees would be required to work, and those managing fed access lands are not essential. Fed wardens would still be employed, whether or not they would want to run you out I have no idea

State pub hunting would stay open obviously.
WPA’s aren’t staffed, nor do they have “entrances”…nobody would stay off due to a shutdown….

Barricades or not. It’s not trespassing.
Not true. If it is barricaded, and you are caught out there, you can be cited. I personally know 2 people who did just that back in 2018 on Federal Forest land and were both given citations. What are the chances you get caught doing it? Probably slim. But LEOs do in fact continue to work during a shutdown and they enforce this.

Keep in mind here that the key wording here is if its "barricaded" or there are obvious visual signs indicating such. If there are no signs or barricades, my opinion is that you can still access the land.

Good news, nobody but CO’s patrol them…
From what I've seen in the field, state game wardens/conservation officers and federal fish and wildlife agents both patrol public hunting land, regardless if it's owned by the state or feds. At least I've been checked by both in those scenarios. State gave wardens usually have a territory. The federal agents I'm not really sure how wide of a range they have.

Back