Plott Hound?

LoneRooster

Anyone ever have any experience with a Plott Hound before? I had never heard of the breed until recently. I rescued a puppy that is 1 part Weimeraner, 1 part Labrador and 1 part Plott Hound..The intention was to save him from the gas chamber, get him vetted out and adopt him to a nice family but he is fitting in with me and my family so well we are going to keep him and I am going to try to train this little booger to be a bird dog. Plott hounds are supposedly phenomenal hunting dogs (based on the little I have found online)..they were and are used for bear and boar hunting. The nose should be there..and obviously both weims and labs have good hunting instincts. I know its always a crap shoot with any dog..especially a rescue but I figured its worth the shot! Just seeing if anyone has any insight to the breed. He is a cute little Sh!t at 9 weeks old and is already having fun with the cap gun and pheasant wings ;)

They're pretty rare out here but a few guys ran them on bears. One of the guys that the F&W hires to take care of problem cougars keeps a kennel of them and I believe the famous lion dog Lead was a plot. Nice looking dogs (way better looking then a walker) and lots of drive and nose.:cheers:

Good job on rescuing him btw. Any pics?

I can never get pictures to work but Ill try again here..

Plott hounds are wonderful they are very personable hounds filled with alot of drive and affection for their owners the only problem i can see is he ma want to chase fur aswell as feather but should make an excellant gundog eitherway

Great book...novel...OLD FISH HAWK, by Mitchell Jayne.

An old friend, often re-read, features a hunter and his dog, a Plott Hound.

Depends on which aspect of which breed shows up in your pup, but reputedly terriffic noses, no "quit" in them, and congenial.

Sounds like you may have a winner.

Best wishes.

I know some guys in Missouri who use them for coon hunting with good results, Hope he works out for you, hope you can get a picture of him on here.:)

everytime I try to upload it either from home computer or work computer it says upload failed. Its a jpg email which should be compatible.. Ive tried saving ti as different file types and still nothing.. Any tips? He sure has been a good pup..I can def see all 3 breeds in him, he is getting leggy like a weimeraner and his body and chest look like a lab but underneath his black coat you can slightly see little stripes and a hint of brown which my guess is the brindle from the plott hound. I am excited to see what he looks like as he grows

We used to run bear with Walker hounds. Had a friend who ran Plots. Dogs were good on the trail. I am not sure about birds, but if you could get the pup started, it might work out. The nose should be there.

everytime I try to upload it either from home computer or work computer it says upload failed. Its a jpg email which should be compatible.. Ive tried saving ti as different file types and still nothing.. Any tips? He sure has been a good pup..I can def see all 3 breeds in him, he is getting leggy like a weimeraner and his body and chest look like a lab but underneath his black coat you can slightly see little stripes and a hint of brown which my guess is the brindle from the plott hound. I am excited to see what he looks like as he grows

Coon hunting up here and some bear. Striped look from plot yes. They were not our favorite coon dog, but had a couple. The blue tic did the job nicely. Not sure how the bird thing will work out. But for Gods sake make it a flusher and not a pointy thing. Save yourself the headache of dealing with a pointy thing.:D good luck. I always thought a coon hound would be a good bird dog. Not sure on the mouth and retrieving though. Never played fetch with a coon dog in all those years. You brought back some old memories.

Well, with lab, weimy and coonhound blood he should surely make some kind of hunting dog. The question is, what kind? Might be way better on fur than on birds and probably not the best retrieving prospect in the world.

But good on ya for the rescue. Will be interested to see what he looks like when he's full grown and what he does in the field.

NB

Not to put a damper on this, but how do you do the math to get a dog bred in 1/3rds?

One of the parts is one-half, each of the other two, one-quarter.

Or, alternately, it was a vivisection experiment done by the Soviets involving complex surgery. (You got to be old to understand this joke.):)

Great book...novel...OLD FISH HAWK, by Mitchell Jayne.

An old friend, often re-read, features a hunter and his dog, a Plott Hound.

Depends on which aspect of which breed shows up in your pup, but reputedly terriffic noses, no "quit" in them, and congenial.

Sounds like you may have a winner.

Best wishes.

old fish hawk! I read that book as a young man,13-14 yrs old, thanks for reminding me of the title, maybe i'll send away for a copy

one year when I was 16 I spent the summer with my grandparents in Salem, Missouri as I was able to get a summer job at the Buick dealership cleaning cars,and I remember getting up and listening to mitch jayne and truely enjoyed listening to him.
a true conservationalist.
Iwas lucky also because my grandfather worked for a guy named leonard hall who was the st. louis post dispatch newspaper conservation writter.
now that I think about it I can not remeber if it was the st. louis post dispatch or the st. louis globe democrat, but it was one or the other, it has only 50+ years ago. :)

there was a "black Russian" boar running amok in the country side and a single shot 45/70,trap door spring field, a carbine it think.
the front sight had been removed and "upgraded" with a piece of a silver dollar,so you could see it in the gloom.(paraphrasing the book)

May work out for you who knows. I wouldn't hold my breath though. Either way, I'm glad he found a nice home to live in! Used to have a few coonhounds when I was younger, Redbones, blueticks and walkers. Never had a plott.

If we get to come back to earth and live another life I've already decided I will live in Utah and have a kennel full of Plott hounds for lions.

546924_10100320974272499_765619399_n.jpg

Back