Pitiful

kournate

Started our hunt in Salina on Sunday hunted west and south. Cover was low and thin.
Only saw 4 birds not a good start. Ended up driveing to Dodge to get into different area.
Hunted west and than North .saw birds standing in private fields. The cover looked much better. Worked 4 Wihas and moved about 30 birds we got 3.
That night drove to Hays. Went North and northwest the best cover we got into but no birds.
Found one nice field late in the day moved about 20 we got 2.
Stayed in Norton woke up to fog and drizzle. Went east cover went to a golf course grass. No birds. Headed back west to the one good field from the day before and only moved one bird.
With the great weather coming in and lack of birds headed for home on Thursday .
Total hunt for me and my son was 5 pheasants and 4 quail..
Did like the new Wiha books hope ND. Will follow suit as the maps are So much easier to navigate with.
We saw alot more birds in 2011. I will wait until Kansas has about 3 good up years before I head back.
Kournatekennels.

This appears that is one of the most visited Forums by State , when people Asked how the bird numbers where here bfefore season started , many of us from Kansas let everybody know that last year was the lowest harvest of pheasants since records have been kept ( 30 + years I am guessing )

The state reports were that numbers had increased but double the population of the smallest population on record and the numbers aren't going to be that great .

Check back in a couple years the numbers never rebound as quick as they fall . Right now I have seen real spotty populations . Some pockets with birds others go a couple miles away and no birds at all .

Visit in a couple years .

i am going to get a chance to finally get out during the first week of December, expect to walk a lot, move some birds here and there plus a few quail.....mostly enjoy running the wheels off my dogs! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Last year was the worst year we have had out there. Still going back this season. Not expecting a ton but looking forward! I have seen the habitat decrease in quality over the last 6 years in the exact same area described.

This appears that is one of the most visited Forums by State , when people Asked how the bird numbers where here bfefore season started , many of us from Kansas let everybody know that last year was the lowest harvest of pheasants since records have been kept ( 30 + years I am guessing )

The state reports were that numbers had increased but double the population of the smallest population on record and the numbers aren't going to be that great .

Check back in a couple years the numbers never rebound as quick as they fall . Right now I have seen real spotty populations . Some pockets with birds others go a couple miles away and no birds at all .

Visit in a couple years .

I'm continually amazed at just how little folks understand how the drought impacted Kansas. In much of the west the land was a moon-scape, yet folks come back in a year and expect limits each day. These birds have a remarkable ability to come back, but there are limits. We are better, but there is plenty of room before we are comparing harvest to the best years. To put it in a nutshell, "what KsBrittman says"!

I am from NE Wis. And my son is from. Dallas so Kansas is the perfect meeting spot.
Love being in the big wide open. My dogs love to run big. I had 8 with me.
I was just letting others know how my hunt went. Any time I am in Kansas I am going to see more birds than we have in Wis.
We also saw 3 coveys of quail about 20 birds in each. And about 25 P.chickens that was exciteing.
Wiha is a crap shoot you never know what the field is going to be until you drive by it.
We saw alot of nice bucks too.
One other thing I have never fell in so many holes as this hunt what ever is in those fields there are alot of them.

I am from NE Wis. And my son is from. Dallas so Kansas is the perfect meeting spot.
Love being in the big wide open. My dogs love to run big. I had 8 with me.
I was just letting others know how my hunt went. Any time I am in Kansas I am going to see more birds than we have in Wis.
We also saw 3 coveys of quail about 20 birds in each. And about 25 P.chickens that was exciting.
Wiha is a crap shoot you never know what the field is going to be until you drive by it.
We saw a lot of nice bucks too.
One other thing I have never fell in so many holes as this hunt what ever is in those fields there are a lot of them.

badgers mostly, you need to watch your step a lot when hunting in Kansas.

Back