Pheasants down even more!!!!

Campbell76

Wichita Eagle has bird report and the bad news. PHEASANT AND QUAIL down again this really sucks... Wish the weather would get better than worse. What to do now? Yeah i know most of you will probably still go out and see what's out there but really what's the point. I mean I love pheasant hunting but now it's called lots of walking. We might still go but its all up to my dad again whether or not he wasn't to go or not. Anyway that's the report.

Did you really expect to hear that there was a phenomenal rebound and birds everywhere?

It's going to take a few years of perfect weather and habitat to bring them back I think.

I'll still go because for me it's not about killing the birds. It's watching my Pointers run and work the cover, point a bird here and there, or not. I had a few points last season that when flushed I never even shouldered my gun.

I go to spots that I remember from many years past having coveys of quail and think back to my little orange and white Elhew bred female pointing them. I can remember certain areas that she went on point and if I close my eyes I can picture her there, in that spot pointing those birds.

It's fun to get out and look at things along the way, either driving or walking. Watching the dogs get excited knowing they are going to go. It's the excitement of getting ready to go the night before. Making sure you have plenty of water for the dogs and you. Thinking about having that tailgate lunch and sharing a bite of two with your dogs.

Being tired that night and talking to the wife about what the dogs did on the hunt and how I can't keep that lab off the roof of my truck!

Oh, and then there is scouting. Thats one of the most fun things to do in the entire game of hunting!

So you ask "whats the point"? I think that some of the "why you should still go" are listed above.

The good news just keeps rolling in. I'm going to have to quit reading this forum, just too depressing.

That's what two consecutive droughts do for pheasant hunting.

I believe my boys and I will finally take the time to try deer and fall turkey this year.

Doing the same thing with my two kids, started it last year. It's sad because their grandpa has some prime spots in SW Kansas, but no pheasants anymore. However, they get a kick out of deer hunting and while I didn't shoot many pheasants last year, I had one of my best years ever hunting because I got to harvest 3 deer while having the kids along with me. They are itching to get out again this year!

Doing the same thing with my two kids, started it last year. It's sad because their grandpa has some prime spots in SW Kansas, but no pheasants anymore. However, they get a kick out of deer hunting and while I didn't shoot many pheasants last year, I had one of my best years ever hunting because I got to harvest 3 deer while having the kids along with me. They are itching to get out again this year!

That's great! I wish you all the best of luck this season:thumbsup:

I believe my boys and I will finally take the time to try deer and fall turkey this year.

Wise choice KB, I think there my be more action hunting deer and turkey than rooster hunting:mad:, but it is still time in the fields with friends and family that counts.

Now ith that said I am out to get into a tree stand. Deer don;'t shoot themselves:D:D

Kick'em Up (if you can find them)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Did you really expect to hear that there was a phenomenal rebound and birds everywhere?

It's going to take a few years of perfect weather and habitat to bring them back I think.

I'll still go because for me it's not about killing the birds. It's watching my Pointers run and work the cover, point a bird here and there, or not. I had a few points last season that when flushed I never even shouldered my gun.

I go to spots that I remember from many years past having coveys of quail and think back to my little orange and white Elhew bred female pointing them. I can remember certain areas that she went on point and if I close my eyes I can picture her there, in that spot pointing those birds.

It's fun to get out and look at things along the way, either driving or walking. Watching the dogs get excited knowing they are going to go. It's the excitement of getting ready to go the night before. Making sure you have plenty of water for the dogs and you. Thinking about having that tailgate lunch and sharing a bite of two with your dogs.

Being tired that night and talking to the wife about what the dogs did on the hunt and how I can't keep that lab off the roof of my truck!

Oh, and then there is scouting. Thats one of the most fun things to do in the entire game of hunting!

So you ask "whats the point"? I think that some of the "why you should still go" are listed above.

agreed if I kill birds I give them away its all about what 66 said

Having spent 25 years in the army, this will be the first time I get to hunt with my dad in almost that long. We have already planned a few trips here and there. The dismal reports won't stop us from taking the dog and spending some time walking fields together. He is getting up there in age and we will do what we can. We will also spend some time after deer and ducks, but we both enjoyed the times we spent hunting pheasant here in Kansas and want to do it for a few more years! Spending time with him is enough, birds would just be gravy!!

agreed if I kill birds I give them away its all about what 66 said

I agree! Besides 20 years from now we tell our grandkids that we were there in 2013 when the pheasant population was near zero, and how hard it was. It's a better counterpoint to what my dad told me, he had to walk 5 miles to school in chest deep snow and zero degrees.

I'll still make a few trips this year. The opening day lunch with the family of farmers we hunt with can not be missed. Many great friends have been made on these trips. One of these years my dog will get into birds somewhere other than MT. For the rest of the season, looks like dad and I will be spending some quality time in the duck blind.

I'll still be hunting Kansas as well. Like many of you have said, it's not all about killing birds. Hard earned birds are the way it's suppose to be and even if I don't get any at all at least my dogs will be tired and not driving me nuts!!! I do have to admit that this website is getting a bit depressing with all of the doom and gloom reports. I guess that will mean less competition out in the fields this season.

Well...that does it!!
I'm done! Forget it! It's just not worth it!
Please see the classifieds for a safe full of guns, DD pup, 4x4, pigeon loft fully stocked, e-collar, and other various gear...

Finally!! I can pursue my life long dream of being a professional parcheesi player!!

;)

Well...that does it!!
I'm done! Forget it! It's just not worth it!
Please see the classifieds for a safe full of guns, DD pup, 4x4, pigeon loft fully stocked, e-collar, and other various gear...

Finally!! I can pursue my life long dream of being a professional parcheesi player!!

;)

I'll take it all.... I'm a collector. :laugh:

Back