Pheasant update

I live in Brookings and some on here have doubted my assessments of how dry this area is.
As for the road construction , S.D. has 2 seasons- winter and road construction.
Haha. We have that here too. Dry, hot, and two seasons: winter and road construction. The golf course on the edge of town there looked PARCHED. Half the course was white in color.

I was here 5 weeks ago for a grad party, will be here again in 3 months for a wedding…great friends! We got a good rain here 3-4 days ago, beautiful! Love being here this time of year. Lots of birds, crowing like crazy…things are good. Not a fan of hot, humid weather, came now as it’s fairly cool here. I’ve got land here, checking on my food plots, and settling up with my buddy who plants them. I started coming out here in the spring/summer about 28 years ago…July/August not so much…April-June, for sure. I retired 2.5 months ago, but I’ve always worked from the cell phone, coffee in hand, dogs nearby…my routine. Better when I’m in the country, not in civilization…🥳🍺

2 to 4 depending on January weather.

License for me is at the low end of what I spend. 1227 miles one way.
ehm. Maybe some day I will finally total how many miles I drive to get pheasant hunting. Retirement(mostly) has helped and the fact that my wife comes along. I also buy multiple licenses in multiple states. So what BB does seems normal or at least not totally abnormal.

I'm of the same mind as Alaskan and Dakotasj when it comes to License cost. I'm planning a 3 week trip this season and want to try a few different areas and the 2x5 or 10 day thing pretty much guarantees I'll be getting two licenses. Maybe I can plan it so there is a 5 day left over but it's still the least expense of the trip.

You are a rare breed, indeed. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that very few hunters are willing to fork over buying 4 separate licenses of the exact same variety in order to full fill a hunting need. In fact, I would say that most non-residents don't even buy two of them.
I would gLAdly buy 4 if I had tHe time. $500 is nothing compared to vacations with my wife to beach side accomodations

I would gLAdly buy 4 if I had tHe time. $500 is nothing compared to vacations with my wife to beach side accomodations
My wife never told me she had a sister, but it sure sounds like she does.

I'm in the same boat, the money is not the issue to going on an out of state hunt. It is purely about the available time to get away.

I'm of the same mind as Alaskan and Dakotasj when it comes to License cost. I'm planning a 3 week trip this season and want to try a few different areas and the 2x5 or 10 day thing pretty much guarantees I'll be getting two licenses. Maybe I can plan it so there is a 5 day left over but it's still the least expense of the trip.
Me too…. Held a Licsence in 6 states last year.

Back