Pheasant update

Bob Peters

After the Aberdeen coalition proclamation that the pheasants made it through the winter like a champ, and the subsequent post by a member that his families land in SD is now more or less devoid of any signs of phasianus with the implication that old man winter reduced the population to nil, or at least nearly so. Not to mention the post of a guy driving a snowplow and seeing birds stacked up in a line tipped over dead in a tree row, my curiosity got the better of me. So I figured, what could be more accurate than anecdotal incidents shared on the internet? I figured anecdotal information shared over the phone might get me one kernel closer to the cob of truth🌽. I rang up a couple of wildlife biologists in the hinterlands of South Dakota, in two different popular destinations in the pheasant belt. The first gentleman I talked to was also a pheasant hunter, oh lucky day! He said that yes, the area he works in was hammered by snow and bad winter weather, but that from all he's seen the birds made it through the winter very well. He saw no dead birds that he attributed to blizzards/massive snow totals(not to say there wasn't any, just sharing what he saw, although I never asked him if he drove a snow plow, maybe that high seat would have afforded him some different views). He also said that he hunted at the end of the season, and the spots he tried, there was excellent cover. I asked, "I thought that the cattails were filled to the top and all snowed in?" He in turn said that yes, the edges were, but once you got in the slough the cattails were much more open and the birds were there and doing well. The second biologist I called told me that yes, they had lost some birds this winter. She related that she'd seen some areas with a thick ice crust over the snow and it made things difficult for the pheasants. She never told me how many birds as a rough percentage might have been lost, but then again I never asked her. That being said, she told me in her days doing field work she's seeing a fair number of birds out and about, and also hearing some crowing etc. As a bright note, she said that the wildlife office she works at as a whole has been really really busy, because more landowners than expected have been starting habitat projects, which is always nice to hear.

Oh, I forgot to mention, in terms of current day, both said the habitat as a whole is looking better than average. All that snow and some early rains really greened things up. As we know, the next month or two will determine a lot. One last quote that stuck in my head from the biologist, "pheasants like it dry, they just don't like a drought."

Trust me there were plenty of cattail sloughs that were full of snow. Now there is almost always some openings under the snow but probably can't sustain life for long.

There were at least 3 instances of crusty snow in much of the state. 2 were rain / freezing rain and 1 was a freeze after a warming trend.

Talked to couple people. 1 west of Pierre. farms 3,000 acres no till with 5k acres of ranch ground intermixed damn grades sloughs etc. leaves milo up for wildlife in the fall/winter. essentially farms for birds and deer. Saw 7 pheasants total during spring planting. they found hundreds of dead birds in the shelter belts while hunting in January.

South central report was much better. buddy there was seeing birds even after the immense drifting they had all winter.

Time will tell.

Peak hatch June 10th. Fingers crossed.
As benelli-banger said, much of South Dakota is in a drought. Very little rain in the past month and now we are experiencing above normal temps for this time of year. Hot and dry are not good conditions for the hatch. These above average temps look to continue throughout the next 10 days. We also have a chance of some rain almost every day for the next week but thus far no moisture. The forecast says a 50% chance of storms today but as I look out my window while I'm typing this there is not a cloud in sight.

Its seems like every year for the past several years now, once June hits, its HOT and DRY for weeks on end and we end up going right back into a drought. June is supposed to the month where we make up on moisture deficits, as its traditionally the wettest month of the entire year. Lately, we're in such a deficit of moisture in June that it sets us further backwards for the entire year and we can't catch back up until the following winter/spring. Its getting pretty old, I'll tell you.

This is just my observation, but my job requires that I do a lot of driving on gravel roads throughout eastern SD. Last summer, I was spending a lot of time in Brown and Day county. This summer I haven’t been up there yet but have been driving around the east central part of the state, which I was doing last summer too. From what I’ve seen on the roads, there isn’t a real noticeable drop in numbers compared to last spring. I’m sure some birds didn’t make it and like always, the next 6 weeks will determine most of the numbers for this fall. But I can confirm that I’ve seen birds out and about at the right time of day along the roads. Around Pierre, a month ago, I saw over 75 in a 25 mile drive.

Do birds on the road automatically equal total population? Definitely not. But if birds seen on the road are a fraction of the total out there that’s unseen, I think we will be okay with cooperation from the weather in the next two months. I’ve seen birds out and about in the last month in all the places I would expect to see them.

My food plots got planted yesterday, very early vs most years over the past decade or two, because this year is dry and the farmer who does this for me is done planting. He saw some chicks. And, he said there are lots of flying insects…good news! Gonna pray for rain…🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Got a text today of a half inch of rain at one of my friends place but was spotty. Hopefully some nice wide spread showers show up.

OK...During the spring I fish a lot of smaller lakes north of I-90 here in SD. The road time is usually met with a good number of roosters in full spring plumage.

I'm seeing NUTHIN'...a week ago I made a trip from my house in Tea, SD to Watertown SD...bought a gun from a guy up there and needed to pick it up. I left as soon as I could sneak out of work. About 4:14 that afternoon. SO...that is a 200 mile, round trip event. I saw two roosters during that trip. And I look...trust me. Always curious about the shape of the soughs as well for ducks...so I tend to notice.

With this I would think I'd notice a few more than two roosters on an afternoon drive...heading into sunset. One bird per 100 miles. As bad as the winter was...I've never seen such low number on a spring drive. ALSO...while fishing up to dusk/dark...one would expect to hear the roosters sounding off as they normally do in the spring. The silence was deafening.

I appreciate all the wishing and hoping...but I'm telling you guys...this is not a year to hunt SD. I'm not foolish enough to believe that my few posts on the matter will keep tens of thousands of OOS licenses from being sold or that I'll somehow magically have SD fields all to myself. These are just my observations this spring...along with all the dead birds my springer and I found at the end of last season.

for what it's worth....

My observations, though fewer in nature, are that I see LOTS of birds in April, good #’s in May, and markedly fewer in June. I come out several times in the spring and summer. Location means a lot this year. I think by now chicks are hatching, and many hens are on nests as well. Fingers crossed!

I agree with the poster above. I’ve seen very few birds in the last two weeks compared to the six weeks before that in the same exact areas. And that would correspond with hens being on the nest. To each their own, but I haven’t seen anything to cause me to question hunting this fall or inviting in my family from out of state to do the same. Time will tell, but these rains the last week could do wonders for the hatch too, even if over-winter survival was terrible. And I don’t think it’s been terrible from what I’ve seen.

Like many things today there are going to be many opinions and speculations. Take what you think is correct and accurate and act accordingly. My lodging is all set and I am counting the days until we leave. That shows what my intel it telling me. 😁🤔. As always some areas will be better than others so do your homework and best of luck to all.

I'm not expecting a great year. Probably a below average year.

Sure, every state is going to have hot pockets of birds and if you hit those you'll be claiming a great year was had.

The real question is where do you think it's going to be better overall statewide than SD?

The real question is where do you think it's going to be better overall statewide than SD?
Iowa...I was born/raised in SD, but after college I moved to Iowa for quite a few years. Then career allowed me to return home to SD. Iowa got killed in the early 2000's by all the CRP coming out and a number of hard winters. Before that I killed my 3 birds a day as easily in Iowa as SD. Recently the birds are quietly coming back in Iowa. I've hunted Iowa several times in the last few years with friends and my son. It's actually pretty good and if what I suspect is true I'll certainly be taking a few trips back to Iowa. I know the better spots in Iowa as much as I do at home here in SD.

I'm probably not going to limit my hunting to SD just because its...South Dakota.

Back