Pheasant Hunting

So I used to fish every possible chance I could. I still go a lot. Right now my schedule goes like this.

Start the year either fishing stream trout or walleye fishing if the miss river is open. Shoot a turkey in may. Bass fish until pheasant opens(I do about 7 tournaments annually). Once pheasant opens it trumps everything else. The nice thing is between late season roosters and early season trout I don't have to ice fish anymore.
That's me for the most part too. Start out turkey hunting and trout fishing in April. When walleye season opens in May I'm pretty heavy into fishing for them most of the summer. But come Grouse opener in September, the fishing gear is put away for the year.

I was thinking of this sport, hobby, activity, pastime, recreation. But it's really not any of those things, not to me anyways. I heard talk of roosters and hunting since I was a little kid. My dad sold all his guns before I was born. I grew up in the suburbs and never hunted. I was ate up with fishing from the word go. By total happenstance I moved across the street from a trap club, asked a buddy to borrow his gun, and shot clays all summer. One thing led to another and I invited myself along on a ND duck hunt that fall, but was told I had to get my own gun! I promptly went to the local gunstore and bought my first shotgun. Waterfowling is such a blast, it was a great trip. A couple years later I bought a MN pheasant license and went hunting at a public spot with no dog. It was fun and I even flushed a few birds. I asked my buddy to go with me a few days later. He had a brittany dog, and I'll never forget how she worked, she wanted those birds more than I ever could. When she passed away last year my buddy made her a beautiful casket and buried her up at the family property along with grouse and pheasant feathers. What more can you do for a dog that lives their entire life only to flush and retrieve game birds and please their hunting partners? I fell to luck, happenstance, and providence to become Skye's hunting partner. She taught me to hunt, how to find pheasants, and where the roosters live. She put up with a lot of bad decisions and shitty shooting and never once flagged in enthusiasm. This is an awesome site, tons of great info and members. I really appreciate all the photos and stories everyone shares of their dogs and hunting buddies. Some things in life get old and stale, I lose my curiosity and enthusiasm. One thing I never get tired of is good stories and discussion on pheasant hunting. If my time was eternal I wish I could hunt with each and every one of you, learn all about your dogs, and see them all out in the field doing what they love most, hunting wild roosters. As life goes on I can say with certainty that seeing a dog work in the field never gets old. Skye just turned 8 at the end of the season. I promised I wouldn't call her a granny dog until next season. I don't know what I'm gonna do when she checks out, other than be a complete mess. Going back to my first sentence, I mean to say that pheasant hunting is part of who I am and at this point can't ever be separated from that. I hope to be chasing these wiley old ringnecks around till I breath my last. I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing. Please give your dog a pet for me, and a scratch behind the ear.View attachment 7538
Bob my 15 year old golden managed a few birds this fall and the 11 year old is still a machine. As far as fishing I live where I live because of the fishing. When you are ready let me know and we will go after salmon. Oh and I have a 4 year old who tried to kill me this year. Great post.
Mike

That's me for the most part too. Start out turkey hunting and trout fishing in April. When walleye season opens in May I'm pretty heavy into fishing for them most of the summer. But come Grouse opener in September, the fishing gear is put away for the year.
Imo fishing is for the cheap.Hunting takes money.

Bob my 15 year old golden managed a few birds this fall and the 11 year old is still a machine. As far as fishing I live where I live because of the fishing. When you are ready let me know and we will go after salmon. Oh and I have a 4 year old who tried to kill me this year. Great post.
Mike
Alaska spoiled me in terms of fishing...gave away all my gear when we moved to Montana.
That (fishing) and big game hunting chapters are closed in my life.
I'd rather hunt birds, shoot sporting clays and train retrievers.

AK, I was in western NY in 1990 and fished the creeks for Salmon and Steelhead. Wow that was fishing. I have never got excited about fishing in TN since. Loved those creeks off of Erie.

I have a soft spot for any gray muzzled hunting dog regardless of the breed. Here is a pic with three of ours, now sadly all departed on the last day that I hunted them all. They were pissed when I made them quit, you can see they aren’t happy and they suffered the next day but their hearts still wanted to keep hunting. It’s what they lived for!

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
Alaska spoiled me in terms of fishing...gave away all my gear when we moved to Montana.
That (fishing) and big game hunting chapters are closed in my life.
I'd rather hunt birds, shoot sporting clays and train retrievers.
I don't like big game hunters, or fisherman.

Shoot a turkey in may. Bass fish until pheasant opens(I do about 7 tournaments annually). Once pheasant opens it trumps everything else.
Haha. This is pretty close to me as well. After turkey hunting I fish.

The only difference is that I deer hunt in early November for a week and then chase roosters. I do not have permission to hunt pheasants before deer firearms season anyways.

Water skiing isn't fishing. Goose you need to be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Fishing is my other addiction....😁

Attachments

• 20210125_101637.jpg
    20210125_101637.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210520_122048.jpg
    20210520_122048.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG956742.jpg
    IMG956742.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG951128.jpg
    IMG951128.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG954733.jpg
    IMG954733.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG953886.jpg
    IMG953886.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 12
Once April starts the dogs become full time whitewater/fishing guides. Raft came out for cleaning this weekend in preparation for our annual Rio Grande River turkey cast n blast.

Attachments

• raftmillie.jpg
    raftmillie.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • millietrou.jpg
    millietrou.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 10
Back