Pheasant hunting during gun deer opener

The only area I have seen deer hunters driving public land was in Stearns County.
I hear ya...Benton county is probably even scarier.

I deer hunted for 7.5 days last week and filled a bonus antleress deer tag with a young, corn fed deer.

I didn't see a single pheasant hunter the whole time. I saw plenty of other deer hunters though on neighboring properties, some of which I have permission to hunt pheasants for. I will NEVER be hunting those pieces of land during the 9 day firearms season. Way too unsafe, especially with a dog. Not to mention how upset they would be if I was marching around the property hunting birds while they're patiently waiting for a deer.

Its a 9 day season. Rooster season is 2.5 months long. A little respect goes a long way here.

I think people here just automatically assume that every pheasant hunter in this state is only ever hunting in western MN.

Last edited:
Your area north of the Twin Cities is vastly different than the core traditional pheasant range. Add in you are talking private land vs. public.

I would imagine you would quickly and permanently lose your pheasant hunting privileges if you interfered with the deer hunting on those properties.

Lack of a better corollary apples vs oranges …

I do not do it. 1, I deer hunt. 2, there can be someone anywhere shooting at a deer with a projectile that can kill you or your dog LOL. Especially on public land. You may not see a car. People get dropped off, or come in from private land. Sit on the border of public in stands on private. Not worth it IMHO, unless your 100% certain no one is near with a rifle or slug gun. And or on private land you get to hunt on your own. Just my way of doing it.

Todd County is another county (like Stearns) where the pheasant range and much of the public land are transitional in cover type. I would note that pheasant hunting in the counties along the I-94 corridor during deer season is indeed questionable depending on the property you intend to hunt.

Muzzleloader season is next on the docket and runs 16 days across most of Minnesota.

I probably won’t worry as much about muzzleloader season, but still be cautious and wear plenty of orange like I always do. I like to think the guys out muzzleloading are a bit more experienced and probably not just roaming around public without a clue just itching to pull the trigger. Of course there is always exceptions.

Back