Pesticides

Applying insecticides for aphids in soybeans has become common place, many times two applications/year. Ten years ago it would have been rare, now some folks spray without going into the field to see if the aphids are there, just as a matter of course.

Could correspond to the current low populations. I have no knowledge of the toxicity to birds.

We have found here in california, the pesticides kill the insects which are used to feed the chicks. Lack of insects mean high chick mortality

now some folks spray without going into the field to see if the aphids are there, just as a matter of course.

I know plenty of guys who spray for aphids, I don't know a one who does not scout the field or have the local agronomist check it. I don't think it is fair to imply that not scouting is a normal pratice.

I know plenty of guys who spray for aphids, I don't know a one who does not scout the field or have the local agronomist check it. I don't think it is fair to imply that not scouting is a normal pratice.

I am a small grower in CA. We generally have someone check our field for insect/diseases before we spray unless it is something preventative. Chemical charges are our biggest cost and we try to be prudent about what and how much we are spraying

Pesticides are one of many farming technologies. I can show you many cases on my own farm where these technologies impact me negatively and also positively in others.

We recently had a field trip on the farm with PF, DOW, and Millborn.

Nobody wants to spend money on inputs they don't have to and so scouting pays for itself.

the DOW rep told me they spray for hoppers on west by the thousands of acres.

We have them on our farm by the millions. gobble gobble.

We had a tremendous thistle problem on our farm this year in which DOW products saved the day...and the habitat.

Back