PC Transfer from Kansas

Prairie Drifter

Yep, I'm following the rest of the herd, moving away from the spam. I am from southcentral Kansas. I have owned English Setters for 24 years and have been breeding quality litters for 14. I hunt phesants, quail, and prairie chicken with the dogs and do get out after ducks, geese, and deer in addition to the upland birds. I do enjoy fly fishing for trout, but those opportunities have been few of late. I manage a wildlife area for the state with the premier species being quail, whitetail, turkey, and waterfowl. I currrently have 15 setters, their in shape and complaining about not being in the field this very moment.

Thanks for joining Prairie Drifter.

I'll give you a bit of history: You didn't actually drift that far away from PC.com. I actually built that website in 2003 before I left the company that owns Pheasantcountry.com.... "The Argus Leader".

It's kind of funny. A customer was asking me the other day... "Ryan, doesn't it piss you off that you setup Pheasantcountry.com and see the forum board you setup and lobbied for doing well?" I chuckled and said: "Whatever... The Argus Leader will always be the Argus Leader." I left it at that.

I own and operate Ultimate Pheasant Hunting and keep the board going for the pheasant hunters of the world and do the best I can not to get the site in the hands of the corporate giants of the world. So rest assured, your opinion's are always noted. :thumbsup:

Ryan

PD,

Was wondering....what's your honest assessment of the 2008 pheasant season for KS? I hunted pawnee and stafford counties early, but was somewhat dissappointed with overall bird #'s.

Lefty

KS pheasants

I can't make a full assessment, I haven't been everywhere. From what I know, the sweet spot has moved. Last year it was closer to Pawnee/Stafford. This year it is somewhere NW of there. I have experienced some of the poorest weather for pheasant hunting. Never do well with a tall blue sky and blazing sun. Wind also isn't the best most days. The year started rather dry and windy so scenting conditions weren' the best though better than some years. I need to get out soon, been fighting a cold. Need to venture further NW also. Maybe I'll have something more to report if I "get-er-done"!

Prairie Drifter-

Good to have you here. How are things at Byron Walker?

Hi Maynard! Glad we haven't lost one another! Things have been good on the are. Deer take was down, quail take has more than doubled over last year. That may not be much of a brag since last year was the bottom. However, I do like the significance of the turn around. If I can get that much better next year, it should be really good. Are the signs of your drought waning? I haven't gotten out your way this year. The female I usually breed to the male there is in right now and I think I will breed her to River, my best male, this time around. He's just so scary good I hate not to have pups out of him.

Welcome!:cheers:

Back