PA Woodcock sightings

macstevej

I've been seeing more woodcock than usual on my walks this spring in western PA.
I think all of my sightings have been in or near crabapple trees. Around my neck of the woods there are still a lot of crabapples on the ground, mushy as they are, because we had early and constant snow cover this year.

Anyone else seeing more or less game this spring?

I have not seen any woodcock this year..but I think the wildlife have made it through fairly well! I have seen loads of rabbits and a few pheasants!

We don't usually have the constant snow cover around here like we did this year, but overall it didn't seem like an overly harsh winter. We didn't have the freeze thaw cycles either. Once it freezes I like it to stay frozen, not as sloppy that way.
The rabbits are usually pretty cyclical but with woodcocks being migratory I'm not sure what would cause a change in numbers. It is probably just a coincidence or just that the woods I tend to walk have gotten to a more ideal maturity. Thats why I was wondering what others have seen.
Always plenty of turkeys around though.

I realize woodcock are migratory..I was referring to wildlife in general making it through the winter! Last fall I saw quite a few on our property making their way through! We actually manage our property for woodcock..we have some good cover!

Last edited:
Right, I was just saying I don't know enough about woodcock to tell why I'm noticing a difference. Didn't have any doubt you knew they were migratory, didn't mean it to sound that way.
I've never really kept track but have read rabbits are on 11 year cycles, and grouse are on 10 year cycles (with years ending in 9 being the peak). I'm sure some agree and some disagree. I guess I just never payed enough attention to the numbers before.

Haven't seen to many woodcock this spring!We did see some wild pheasants in one of the WPRA's last week,and have been seeing a ton of rabbits.I think the CREP is really helping the small game!

After your post,I made a special trip to look for Woodcock in some of their favorite spots.We were able to see a few!:thumbsup:

Wow a PA forum! We finally made it. Now to the thread. Believe it or not , on my Dad's farm in late Feb we flushed three or four off of a secondary road. In all my years, I don't think I have seen woodcock that early. And this was during a snow storm. Steve

I'm green with envy. What woodcock we have are passing through usually in a hurry. I have read the legendary reports of the mating flights in the evenings. I have shot a few over the years accidentally while quail hunting. A really unique sporting bird. You guys may not have lots of pheasants, but with a lot of public land and grouse and woodcock, I think I'd survive nicely. Congrats on getting your own blog, keep up the posts!

I'm glad to hear others are seeing more woodcock in PA.
I just got back from hiking in the appalachian mountains of North Carolina, well only hiked one mountain, and saw plenty of turkey and grouse. I saw snow also. Come to think of it, I flew all the way down there just to feel like I was still in PA.

I am still flushing them in Upstate NY, it has been a great year for them. Just wish I could shoot a little better.

TF; thanks for joining!

Last year was an exceptional year for us as far as seeing Woodcock. This year so far has been about average, which is pretty good in the North East part of the state.We see a couple every time out and we are not really hunting them!

I am still flushing them in Upstate NY, it has been a great year for them. Just wish I could shoot a little better.[

MODOG,

Have you spent any time in the Pheasant Focus Area in NY? If so what do you think?

I haven't had a chance to hit the focus areas yet. I have had the privilege of working on a private habitat project that is working out well. It is the second year of the project and we had a good amount of hold over from last year.

That's great! It's an awesome feeling seeing the fruits of your labor pay off. Any chance of wild birds in the area moving in to nest so you can have some reproduction?

Back