Out of Towner Questions

Here is what the online PLOTS look like. The boxes with the X are posted. The yellow spots are PLOTS. Blue boxes are usually school land which can be open to hunting ... often much of the land that appears open on the map can still be posted the old fashioned way (signs) or like some else said may have little value to gamebirds and thus hunters ... heavily grassed pasture, 160 acre crop fields, etc...

1724876287516.png

One further clarification. If the land is not posted on the corner of each roadside quarter section , you might be able to hunt. However if said quarter is posted on onX that superseded a lack of No Hunting signs being posted.
You will find most unposted land IMO in that area not of high habitat . The area is known for good hunting however lots of trespass fee access. Hope this helps
I'm not paying those guys a dime.Maybe a 6 pack.

Hello again, don't know if your aware, but we know have electronic posting, so unlike the old days, no need to post signs

Game and Fish has an app you can download. Also, ON X (which I use) has posted land along with all public lands

The PLOTS guide IMO, is not the best, it doesn't show any secondary roads or minor roadways. It would be nice if the guide was broken down by county......oh well

Best Regards

Greg
Yes, I’ve been using ON X and have been reading up on the ND laws and stuff. It can either be physically posted or electronically posted. I’ve looked at the PLOTS guide and came to the same conclusion as you. ON X makes it easy!

One further clarification. If the land is not posted on the corner of each roadside quarter section , you might be able to hunt. However if said quarter is posted on onX that superseded a lack of No Hunting signs being posted.
You will find most unposted land IMO in that area not of high habitat . The area is known for good hunting however lots of trespass fee access. Hope this helps
Thank you for that; I did read up on all the laws and how the postings work. I didn’t really think about there being a lack of habitat I suppose. That’s something I’ll have to keep in mind. I’d really prefer to avoid paying for access, we’re not exactly a wealthy group haha. Sure would stink to drive halfway across the country and find nothing but cut fields. That’s why I came here, though!

I'm not paying those guys a dime.Maybe a 6 pack.

A 6 pack is definitely more my style. My style hasn’t done me any good getting onto private land in Michigan though, unfortunately. I appreciate the comment regarding habitat in that area, that gives me something to think about

You're on the right track and most of the advice is accurate. Private access will be tough but it usually is and I wouldn't expect to find much unposted land. I wouldn't worry about deer hunters too much especially if you aren't hunting on a weekend. Tag numbers are way down and the public land in that area that would hold pheasants isn't going to hold many deer since it's been hunted for a few weeks by pheasant hunters. Enjoy the wide open prairie.

Be aware also that mid Nov can have some pretty rough weather. We go the last week of Oct to the first week in Nov and we usually always have snow of some kind. Last year there were 13 inches on ground when we got there on the last Saturday of Oct. But it is what it is and always a great time.

We travel out from Michigan also. My opinion only but if I were making the trip and could hunt only PLOTS or unposted land I wouldn't find it worthwhile. This is in late October, November PLOTS may not get hammered quite so bad.

Last edited:
I say go! See what happens. I hunt in ND every year and hunt some plots and some private with no fee. We have found some great people that let us hunt for free. We meet them and small time diners or bars. We lost some ground last year as the owner sold out and retired. But went to the gas station/bar (yes it is both) for a beer when we got done hunting. We got to taking to some locals and met a gentleman. He showed us all his land and offered to let us camp at his place. His land was electronically posted. All without us asking.

Some parts of ND have fairly low cell phone tower signals and this can depend on your carrier too. Be aware ONX can low down if not stop working if you are remote enough ...

You're on the right track and most of the advice is accurate. Private access will be tough but it usually is and I wouldn't expect to find much unposted land. I wouldn't worry about deer hunters too much especially if you aren't hunting on a weekend. Tag numbers are way down and the public land in that area that would hold pheasants isn't going to hold many deer since it's been hunted for a few weeks by pheasant hunters. Enjoy the wide open prairie.
Awesome, thanks for the input. All good to know. I appreciate it!

Be aware also that mid Nov can have some pretty rough weather. We go the last week of Oct to the first week in Nov and we usually always have snow of some kind. Last year there were 13 inches on ground when we got there on the last Saturday of Oct. But it is what it is and always a great time.
Alright that’s good to know for sure. I figured it would be cold, didn’t expect that much snow by then. But I love a snowy bird hunt. Like you said, it’ll be a good time no matter what

We travel out from Michigan also. My opinion only but if I were making the trip and could hunt only PLOTS or unposted land I wouldn't find it worthwhile. This is in late October, November PLOTS may not get hammered quite so bad.
Thank you for the input. Do you say it wouldn’t be worth while because of so much hunting pressure? And it sounds like you mean ND altogether, not just this area in particular?

I say go! See what happens. I hunt in ND every year and hunt some plots and some private with no fee. We have found some great people that let us hunt for free. We meet them and small time diners or bars. We lost some ground last year as the owner sold out and retired. But went to the gas station/bar (yes it is both) for a beer when we got done hunting. We got to taking to some locals and met a gentleman. He showed us all his land and offered to let us camp at his place. His land was electronically posted. All without us asking.
This is very encouraging to hear. I’m no stranger to bars although I can’t say I’ve been to a gas station bar. I thought the gas station/gun store/convenience store I stop at at home was special. We’re gonna check out the local places and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

MN, ND, and SD for the most part have been wet enough this year to avoid the CRP (walk in areas always seem to carry the brunt of this) mow downs.
This is good to hear. Michigan has been really wet this summer too. Hopefully not too wet for the birds. And like someone else mentioned, I think I can download ON X maps so I won’t need great cell service. Maybe I’ll pick up a physical copy of the PLOTS guide just in case

Back