Out of Towner Questions

PLOTS areas in the northwest looked like a merry go round last fall
I'll be headed that way from Arkansas the last week of October. We have to much invested to not go up and try, and enjoy ourselves no matter how the hunting goes. We have never been to ND before, and are looking forward to the trip!

Hello again, don't know if your aware, but we know have electronic posting, so unlike the old days, no need to post signs

Game and Fish has an app you can download. Also, ON X (which I use) has posted land along with all public lands

The PLOTS guide IMO, is not the best, it doesn't show any secondary roads or minor roadways. It would be nice if the guide was broken down by county......oh well

Best Regards

Greg
I gotta agree with Greg. While Plots are available we tend to hunt other areas and with OnX you can easily identify closed properties. Still a few farmers/ranchers who use paper signage but fairly easy to identify. We’ve hunted NODak since 2016 with 4-5 of us yearly (50’s to early 70’s). The last couple years the sharpies have done well even though that wasn’t our major focus ( mostly flushers and retrievers with only one pointer). Even though the “best” hunting is the southwest corner, The entire west side of the state is good hunting. We’ve hunted a lot of the northwest corner even right up to the Canadian border with success. The upland brood survey should come out on the game and fish NODak website in a few days and may well lead you in the right direction.

I'll be headed that way from Arkansas the last week of October. We have to much invested to not go up and try, and enjoy ourselves no matter how the hunting goes. We have never been to ND before, and are looking forward to the trip!
We’re in the same boat. Good luck!

I gotta agree with Greg. While Plots are available we tend to hunt other areas and with OnX you can easily identify closed properties. Still a few farmers/ranchers who use paper signage but fairly easy to identify. We’ve hunted NODak since 2016 with 4-5 of us yearly (50’s to early 70’s). The last couple years the sharpies have done well even though that wasn’t our major focus ( mostly flushers and retrievers with only one pointer). Even though the “best” hunting is the southwest corner, The entire west side of the state is good hunting. We’ve hunted a lot of the northwest corner even right up to the Canadian border with success. The upland brood survey should come out on the game and fish NODak website in a few days and may well lead you in the right direction.
If you don’t do many PLOTS, are you saying you find a fair amount of unposted private land? Or do you focus on public land? I did see a little video from ND Game and Fish about the pheasant hatch this year, it sounded very promising. We had a toss up between Kansas and ND and it didn’t look like great news for birds in Kansas this year. Just zeroing in on how we’ll approach ND now. Thanks for the input!

If you don’t do many PLOTS, are you saying you find a fair amount of unposted private land? Or do you focus on public land? I did see a little video from ND Game and Fish about the pheasant hatch this year, it sounded very promising. We had a toss up between Kansas and ND and it didn’t look like great news for birds in Kansas this year. Just zeroing in on how we’ll approach ND now. Thanks for the input!
While we have a few plots lands we frequent, we do hunt many private lands, and don’t forget school lands. You need to take the time to look at the regs. NODak has some specific requirements for posting. We have also met more than a landowner or two who even though their lands were posted, a chance discussion has open some very nice spots that we have been invited back to hunt.
We do not hunt the southwest corner of the state due to high density of both local and nonresident hunters. Getting on private lands there can be more difficult.
Even our first year here we managed to find enough good places to hunt that they are on our return list and we have added lands as we go.

Back