Out of Towner Questions

Cramsey

Hi Folks,

My father, buddy and I are planning a trip to ND in November for some upland hunting. Pheasants are the priority but I think it’d be really cool to run into some huns and some sharpies.

From my research I think I might be on to a decent area to give it a whirl. I’m looking in the Belfield to Dickinson area. I know Mott is a hot area for pheasants which these towns aren’t terribly far from. There seems to be plenty of PLOTS lands in these areas. From what I’ve dug up I think Huns and sharpies are around. I guess I’m just looking for either a “yes, give it a shot” or a “no, there’s better areas” from someone with more local knowledge than me.

We’re from Michigan, there’s hardly any wild pheasants left but we still get after them every year. Do plenty of grouse and woodcock hunting of course but the pheasants have been my dad’s favorite since he was a kid. He wants to get out west and do it for real before he gets much older. He’s 71 so now’s the time.

Thanks!

Hi Folks,

My father, buddy and I are planning a trip to ND in November for some upland hunting. Pheasants are the priority but I think it’d be really cool to run into some huns and some sharpies.

From my research I think I might be on to a decent area to give it a whirl. I’m looking in the Belfield to Dickinson area. I know Mott is a hot area for pheasants which these towns aren’t terribly far from. There seems to be plenty of PLOTS lands in these areas. From what I’ve dug up I think Huns and sharpies are around. I guess I’m just looking for either a “yes, give it a shot” or a “no, there’s better areas” from someone with more local knowledge than me.

We’re from Michigan, there’s hardly any wild pheasants left but we still get after them every year. Do plenty of grouse and woodcock hunting of course but the pheasants have been my dad’s favorite since he was a kid. He wants to get out west and do it for real before he gets much older. He’s 71 so now’s the time.

Thanks!
Good for you getting your dad out, I took mine to sd last year. He’s 67 and had the time of his life, we will be back in two months

So plots lands do get hunted hard in southwest and west nd. If it were me , and I was in your situation….. I would go for a couple of days in plots….. I would leave the last couple of days for pay hunting -trespass . The days rates aren’t exorbitant and the guys manage their habitat to make the trip worth it. IMO it would make a memorable trip. Don’t go too early many crops are still standing in October. Easier hunting late in Oct or Nov. do you have dogs?

Hi Folks,

Thanks!
Be forewarned, access can be difficult during their deer season which I believe occurs in November.

Hello, when in November will you be coming out? Deer gun season will be the 8th (noon) to the 24th.

A lot of the PLOTS will be hit hard and private land will be a challenge. Pay to hunt might be your best option.

Sharptails this late in the year are going to be really wild, you might get a single or two. But groups you won't even get close.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Greg

The Dickinson area is great. I hunted it many years. Pheasant are outstanding there. You will also find Huns and sharptails. Also plenty of great lodging and restaurants in Dickinson. Hope this helps
Very helpful and gives me some confidence. Thank you!

So plots lands do get hunted hard in southwest and west nd. If it were me , and I was in your situation….. I would go for a couple of days in plots….. I would leave the last couple of days for pay hunting -trespass . The days rates aren’t exorbitant and the guys manage their habitat to make the trip worth it. IMO it would make a memorable trip. Don’t go too early many crops are still standing in October. Easier hunting late in Oct or Nov. do you have dogs?
I wish we could swing some pay hunting but I honestly don’t think we can afford it. Looks like the lowest priced one I could find is $500 a day per guy. Maybe something to think about for next year

We do public land only in Michigan. So we’re used to a fraction of the bird numbers and probably just as many people hitting the same land. We do alright for ourselves. Gonna have to be PLOTS.

Gonna be mid-November. Just in time for gun season unfortunately but I’m tied up with work and a vacation with my wife before then. We’re taking what we can get. Yes, there’s two Chessies between the 3 of us

Hello, when in November will you be coming out? Deer gun season will be the 8th (noon) to the 24th.

A lot of the PLOTS will be hit hard and private land will be a challenge. Pay to hunt might be your best option.

Sharptails this late in the year are going to be really wild, you might get a single or two. But groups you won't even get close.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Greg
Gonna be mid-November, probably the week before thanksgiving. Which is a bummer with gun season of course. But we deal with lots of deer hunters on public land in Michigan so we’re used to that at least. All the public land we hunt gets pounded for birds too so we’re used to that as well. Pay to hunt unfortunately isn’t in the cards for us this year but I guess I still think there’s more birds out there on publicly accessible land than there are in Michigan.

Thank you, appreciate the insight!

You will source some better day rates . Check chamber of commerces. Also as you travel around look at bulletin boards in cafes and c stores.
One of the issues getting access to private during deer season is tough . Many landowners don’t want liability of you getting shot or SPOOKING their deer!
S

You will source some better day rates . Check chamber of commerces. Also as you travel around look at bulletin boards in cafes and c stores.
One of the issues getting access to private during deer season is tough . Many landowners don’t want liability of you getting shot or SPOOKING their deer!
S
Will do, thanks for the heads up. I’ll keep my eyes peeled and do a little more research

I figured I’d keep my eyes open for unposted private land while we are swinging by the PLOTS parcels I have pinned. I didn’t think we’d have much luck getting access, mostly based on my experiences trying to get private land access in Michigan, but I figured it’d be worth a try. But ultimately I’m planning on PLOTS doing the heavy lifting for us. We’ll have deer hunters to contend with but we have that at home too. I don’t want to mess up anyone’s hunt by any means and we steer clear of the deer guys if we can help it. Some of the deer hunters in Michigan don’t seem to mind us getting the deer moving a bit at least

Hello again, don't know if your aware, but we know have electronic posting, so unlike the old days, no need to post signs

Game and Fish has an app you can download. Also, ON X (which I use) has posted land along with all public lands

The PLOTS guide IMO, is not the best, it doesn't show any secondary roads or minor roadways. It would be nice if the guide was broken down by county......oh well

Best Regards

Greg

One further clarification. If the land is not posted on the corner of each roadside quarter section , you might be able to hunt. However if said quarter is posted on onX that superseded a lack of No Hunting signs being posted.
You will find most unposted land IMO in that area not of high habitat . The area is known for good hunting however lots of trespass fee access. Hope this helps

Many if not most ND deer hunters are done by Saturday evening opening weekend. Season is a bit strange in that it opens at noon on Friday ... My great uncle (owned the land we hunted on) usually had his doe on the ground by 12:10.

I would say that the few days (maybe a week) before deer opener may actually be the toughest time to get access. Many landowners are also a bit protective of pheasants ... depends on the place you ask at. In some cases the landowner may let you hunt areas except his favorite deer spots ... the idea is the pheasant hunters push the deer to where he can later ambush them.

Reactions: gjw
Back