Our 20th straight trip to SD for the pheasant opener

dawgs14

Seven of us from Georgia started the tradition 20 years ago this year and man have we made memories. We've seen drought, flood, snow, and 90 degree days but we hunted all four days of all 20 years. We have also accumulated many, many SD friends that now come to Georgia to vacation and visit us. Our relationships have helped us acquire north of 14 or so farms we have access to for free. That's right, we don't pay. Our plane tickets, rental cars, and play money is all it costs us. Our hosts even provide a house and most meals. We go out two days early to combine and haul corn, sort hogs, and whatever else they'll let us do. Yes, we have it made but it's because we cultivated real relationships and shared a glass of whiskey with farmers who, at the time, were dirt poor as were we. We consider them great friends. You will meet no finer people than the people of SE South Dakota so get out there and meet them. I took my family to vacation there 4th of July week of 2013.

We're all in our early to mid-50's now and we saw the unreal numbers of the early 2000's to the lows of two years ago to the rebound of last year. You could not count the pheasants this area had in the early 2000's. It was unreal but the numbers started to dwindle in 2007 or so to the awful days of 2013 and 2014. Who knows what this year will bring but I'll be there God willing.

Last edited:
Seven of us from Georgia started the tradition 20 years ago this year and man have we made memories. We've seen drought, flood, snow, and 90 degree days but we hunted all four days of all 20 years. We have also accumulated many, many SD friends that now come to Georgia to vacation and visit us. Our relationships have helped us acquire north of 14 or so farms we have access to for free. That's right, we don't pay. Our plane tickets, rental cars, and play money is all it costs us. Our hosts even provide a house and most meals. We go out two days early to combine and haul corn, sort hogs, and whatever else they'll let us do. Yes, we have it made but it's because we cultivated real relationships and shared a glass of whiskey with farmers who, at the time, were dirt poor as were we. We consider them great friends. You will meet no finer people than the people of SE South Dakota so get out there and meet them. I took my family to vacation there 4th of July week of 2013.

We're all in our early to mid-50's now and we saw the unreal numbers of the early 2000's to the lows of two years ago to the rebound of last year. You could not count the pheasants this area had in the early 2000's. It was unreal but the numbers started to dwindle in 2007 or so to the awful days of 2013 and 2014. Who knows what this year will bring but I'll be there God willing.

Very very cool indeed I respect your commitment to SD & wild pheasant hunting with only a handshake & doing a few chores b4 u hunt starts... I wish there was more story's like urs ...

My 1st year in SD was 2013 I had a blast each season hope its as good or better this year... Good luck to you & your group this 2016 season happy hunting & thanks for sharing your story here ...

Fantastic summary of some great experiences. Me and my son just started last
year and hope to duplicate your story. I am always looking for suggestions as to how to make it work. Thanks. Steve Vecchio, Rockford, Il 815 540 5012

I'll make a suggestion...

I would not miss opening week for anything because of the traditions we have established over the last 20 years but... If I were just starting out I would wait until a month into the season to go. By this time the corn is out and the birds are concentrated in what cover is left. Sometimes hundreds in tree lines. More birds with less walking is what I'm saying. The downside is they are more wild after the first couple of weeks unless you find unhunted property and the weather is hit and miss in terms of snow. Good luck!!

Traditions...

Thats a great story and a testament to the value of investing in relationships. I am amazed at how long the SD pheasant hunting traditions can last.

:cheers:

Our first drive on opening day probably includes 15 or so people - half of them are locals we lose by lunch. There are probably 50 or so of us that gather at the farm house shed later that night for grilling, a glass of spirits, a cigar, and to compare opening day results. At least 40 of those are locals that come to hear the funny talking southerners talk. Good times!

Handshake...

Very very cool indeed I respect your commitment to SD & wild pheasant hunting with only a handshake & doing a few chores b4 u hunt starts... I wish there was more story's like urs ...

My 1st year in SD was 2013 I had a blast each season hope its as good or better this year... Good luck to you & your group this 2016 season happy hunting & thanks for sharing your story here ...

Last year on opening day we had stopped about 2:00 to eat lunch at the farmhouse. We got a call that a combine had caught the cornfield on fire near the house of one of our friends. We raced to the house and emptied it of its contents on to trucks within an hour. Our opening day was over. The fire stopped short of the house only because the tractors were finally able to cut firebreaks in the yard. Too far to depend on fire trucks. Neighbors pitch in and help neighbors.

Last year on opening day we had stopped about 2:00 to eat lunch at the farmhouse. We got a call that a combine had caught the cornfield on fire near the house of one of our friends. We raced to the house and emptied it of its contents on to trucks within an hour. Our opening day was over. The fire stopped short of the house only because the tractors were finally able to cut firebreaks in the yard. Too far to depend on fire trucks. Neighbors pitch in and help neighbors.

The homestead was very lucky it sound like to have you guys to empty the house & that them fire breaks worked... I doubt there will be a year that goes by wear u boys won't be welcome at that home... Sure beats paying to play... If u have to pay to be friends there not very good friends... Lol

You are also 100%. Correct on when to hunt SD... I don't like opening days & 12:00 noon start times so a month in works fine for me... Also go b4 SD east river deer hunt start is a good idea... Most mid west gun deer seasons are about to start then & guys are in trees hunting deer more then pheasants...

Gonna take my old man who's doing radiation treatment now out to SD come November after MN deer opener plus a few uncles cousin & brother + good friends hope to make some memory's out there & get a few birds for the old man there more to the hunt then just EZ limits...

Again happy hunting in SD this 2016 season dawgs...

Back