OT- homemade meals while on the road

gps4

A thread about hunting road trip costs got me to thinking about what meals would be good to fix this year at the Airbnb during our week long hunt instead of eating out.

4 guys. Moderately equipped kitchen.

5 nights. 6 mornings.

Enlighten me with your favorite home cooked hearty fall season meals.

Pics for bonus points.

Rib eyes on a charcoal grill, maybe some spuds and a vegetable.

If you guys like lasagna, maybe a wife could make up a pan in advance. My wife does this and it can bake in oven while we get settled in. We usually always eat this the first night and leftovers until they are gone.

Steaks with potato on the side, pizza - loaded with toppings you bring and put on yourself, pasta (with meat, sauce) and garlic toast ... sausage/white sauce or hamburger/red sauce
1723604359442.png

wild game with rice and/or vegetable stir fry ...

Egg - sausage/bacon - on english muffins for breakfast ... never gets old.

lunch = sandwich meat on Hawaiian rolls or summer sausage and cheese on crackers ... if you have a small stove and want to eat outside in the field somewhere ... outside grilled cheese and meat sandwiches ... nothing can compare on a chilly day.

Steaks with potato on the side, pizza - loaded with toppings you bring and put on yourself, pasta (with meat, sauce) and garlic toast ... sausage/white sauce or hamburger/red sauce
View attachment 8502

wild game with rice and/or vegetable stir fry ...

Egg - sausage/bacon - on english muffins for breakfast ... never gets old.

lunch = sandwich meat on Hawaiian rolls or summer sausage and cheese on crackers ... if you have a small stove and want to eat outside in the field somewhere ... outside grilled cheese and meat sandwiches ... nothing can compare on a chilly day.
Ham dinner- leftovers @ breakfast with eggs or sandwiches for lunch
Stew, meatloaf,crockpot pheasant or any other crockpot meal

if you have a small stove and want to eat outside in the field somewhere ... outside grilled cheese and meat sandwiches ... nothing can compare on a chilly day.
I've brought the little grill along and we've done burgers/brats a bunch of times. But man, hot ham and cheese out on the tailgate sounds like heaven. Good suggestion!😋

Stew, meatloaf,crockpot pheasant or any other crockpot meal
We've always had people on a trip pick a meal to prepare for everyone. Two years ago it wasn't even my turn to cook, but I took two fresh roosters and threw them in the crockpot for chili at the end of the 1st day. When everyone got back from hunting day two, with the chili on warm in the crockpot, it disappeared real quick. Good memories. White pheasant chili, it's tough to beat.

Here is what I cook over our two plus week trip.

Breakfast - either bacon or sausage, eggs, hash browns, pancakes, bagel, English muffin(not all this on the same days but rotate through them). One or two days I do a sausage, cheese and scrambled eggs combo like what would be in a breakfast burrito. If we are heading to one of our far off places I will make English muffin breakfast sandwiches wrapped in foil to eat while driving.

Lunch - typically lunch meat and chips/fruit or leftovers possibly. THis is eaten on the road while hunting.

Dinner - steaks, pork ribeyes, do pheasant either bacon wrapped over rice or cubed up and browned with noodles and gravy, homemade pizza, burgers, fish. Sides different variations of potatoes, rice, noodles. Texas toast or garlic bread. Veggies or a side salad to start.

We don’t go hungry for sure. Pre dinner is always our ritual of a shot of Crown or Bird Dog to toast the great day we just got to experience.

I couldn’t find any pics.

I've never been on a specific pheasant hunt with a group of people when we stayed at a lodge, but I hunted at deer camp in northern MN for 25 years and we always made breakfast and dinner at the 10-person lodge for 3 nights on opening weekend.

One meal we always had were a beef or pork roast, potatoes, and a vegetable (I preferred the pork roast myself). This was usually on Friday night with more time to prepare.

The second meal was a honey ham (non spiral). I liked this the best because there was usually some leftovers I could put on a sandwich for the next day's hunt.

The third meal was oven roasted chicken and potatoes. We had to use two giant pots for this as we all spent 11 hours in our deer stand and came back to the lodge extremely hungry.

Sadly, that deer camp tradition which lasted for over 75 years is now over. All the old timers have died and the younger generation either doesn't hunt or isn't dedicated enough.

Last edited:
One of my favorites are called hobo dinners. Simple recipe. Put hamburger, sliced onions, baby potatoes, carrots, and butter into tin foil. Wrap it twice so no juices escape. Cook on a grill or the oven for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are soft. You can make them ahead of time a freeze them so all you have to do is pop them in. Simple, easy, great meal!

We usually eat out first night for convenience and the last night to avoid dishes and cleanup. We seem to eat out more and more every year. I love to cook but after a long day it's getting easier and easier to push for going out. We always do breakfast at the house and sandwiches and chips in the field. I've made some great sandwiches at home over the years but they never taste as good as a simple one off a tailgate in the field.

Like a big hungry man’s breakfast has always excited me at duck or deer camp. Hashbrowns, heavy sausage or some sort of meat. fried eggs, toast. Warms you right up.

Chilli is a deer camp staple. Wife makes a big batch. Now we are closer to town so usually eat out a night too.

Ham & bean soup, tortilla soup, chicken spaghetti, chili, lasagna, meat loaf, crawfish etoufoe, egg/bacon breakfast casserole, .....are some of the things my wife makes for me ahead of time and I take with me to heat up for meals.

On the second day, in the morning put some cut up pieces of garlic butter-browned bird in the crock pot with chicken broth/stock, wine, mushrooms, and seasonings. As soon as you get back, start the rice or the pasta. Precede consumption with a tasty yet medicinal dust cutter. Enhance with wine. Enjoy!

So if it’s a good place to hunt and you want to get invited again. Come prepared to make pheasant schnitzel, and another night do pheasant and dumplings. My buddies start talking about the those two dinners in the summer!

Breakfast burritos are filling and easy. Lunch in field. Chili or hearty soups, fajitas with birds hunted last night or multiple….

Back