Orange....or NOT? Is Hunter Orange "cool"?

dukxdog

Do you wear typical (these days) upland clothing with orange highlights?

Do you wear a full orange coat?

Do you wear just an orange hat?

Do you loath bright orange so avoid it at all costs?

If you wear the orange clothes is it more for safety or like the look?

Have you ever been "shot"in the field?

1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. Safety
6. Yes and it HURTS----A LOT !!!!! :eek:

Some places wear it by law. If im hunting with someone new I definitely wear it. I like when my hunting partner is wearing a hat with some orange on it because I can look through thick stuff and pick him right out. Put orange vests on my vizslas so I can see them in the CRP. So for me it has its uses. Look wise I particularly like the upland brown or an off green like my brush pants. My columbia vest has orange on it. I liked my other one better but this was a xmas gift from the wife so it must be worn. And yes I have been peppered in the field. With orange on.

I wear orange on my vest because it came with it on it and it was the vest I wanted. I tend to wear a orange hat when hunting on weekends and with other people. I do this for safety. Middle of the week I wear the dark version of Cabelas pheasant classic hat that they come out with every year. I have a collection. My dog wears a orange vest because it is the only color it came in, but I have to admit it makes her easier to see in thick cover. Had shots land around me and bounce off but never penetrate. I tend to laugh at the cloth rack hunter that buys all their new orange gear the day before and wears it to breakfast and out to dinner after. Can't imagine they didn't bring any other cloths along than these.

I have a guy that used to go with us once a year that we called L.L. Bean because he had brand new gear every year. Sometimes he would be pulling the paper wads out of his boots for the first time before we go. He always had blisters on his feet and he packed a sidearm. Dont now why you need a sidearm for upland hunting in Kansas but hey ya never know. Some people go because they like the pre-event shopping spree. he had the money to do it though. I did not

YES- it's the law here in Nova Scotia and given my answer to the last question below - I would do it even if it were not the law.

Not always. About half of the diverse layers that I wear under my strap vest on any given day are full orange. The other half are orange shoulders/chest/lower sleeves. My strap vest has a lot of orange on it too.

I have to wear and orange hat at all times (as well as the vest), legally. Here as well, I'd wear it anyways for safety and because my bald head is so goddam shiny that I might blind another shooter.

Absolutely not.

Safety.

Yes. Not seriously. The people knew I was there, so the orange had nothing to do with it. I still shake my head as I re-read what I just wrote, but it's true! They THOUGHT that they were shooting way higher than me and way off to one side. They were wrong. I got hit with one pellet in the back of the arm through a thin cotton shirt at about 80-100 yards. It stung but did not break skin.

orange

If someone accompanies me hunting I will ask them to wear an orange hat.
Oft times that is the only part visible. Safety & a courtesy to both of us.

Who cares if it's "cool" or not. If it helps prevent my ass from getting shot, then hell yes, I'm wearing it. (Not that is an issue really, but it always makes me laugh when people worry about orange being cool or being fashionable. I'm hunting/working dogs, not going to a fashion show :) )

When I moved to Washington State 30 years ago it was a requirement. I came from Oregon where it wasn't required. The first couple years I felt like a dork wearing an orange vest. I have come full circle, now when I hunt Idaho (no orange required) I wear orange. I feel safer, I can see others that are wearing orange etc.. No experience with being shot ......yet.

Why would you ever not wear orange? I'm not sure I would ever want to hunt with someone who didn't wear orange.

Orange hat, orange on my vest, orange zip up hoodie. Some of the stuff we hunt is incredibly thick and tall, so we're going to be safe.

I've been peppered a couple of times. Once when I was 12 (sans orange) it left welts.

I always make an orange cap and safety glasses available to anyone that hunts here. Whether they wear them or not is up to them. When I hunt with someone else I wear an orange cap. When I am by myself I don't worry about it.

Yes. Typical 'coat' is a Cabelas upland shell with windstopper lining, blaze shoulders/sleeves, tan bottom, going on about its 7th year. Uplanders Warehouse orange hat, about 5 years on it, and a Cabelas strap vest of about 7 years, cordura chaps about 10 years old.

No. Do not own a full orange coat.

No, I wear an orange hat, plus jacket referenced above, plus a strap vest that is solid orange.

No

Both. I'm not in it for a fashion show though. I don't necessarily care to be shot, but more importantly, I want the guys in my party to be comfortable knowing where I am, so they're not cussing me for being camouflaged.

No

My group always wears at least one article of clothing, typically a hat. What drives me nuts though is the orange hat that is then covered up by a camouflage hooded sweatshirt. Whats the point, we aren't trying to hide from the birds, and I want to see a lot of orange on somebody so I can always keep track of them in my peripheral vision.

I wear a vest that's got a lot of orange on it. There have been more that one occasion that I've pulled off a bird because I saw the other guys orange out of the corner of my eye. It works:thumbsup:

I wear orange for safety.

More people = more firepower = more orange.

If I'm out on a quiet day I don't use an orange hat, I wear my lucky hat instead.

My 2 cents

Do you wear typical (these days) upland clothing with orange highlights? Yes

Do you wear a full orange coat? Orange highlights

Do you wear just an orange hat? Hat may or may not be orange, but I generally always have soemthing orange on.

Do you loath bright orange so avoid it at all costs? No, but hunt with others that do

If you wear the orange clothes is it more for safety or like the look? Safety only

I have been both shot and showered in the field.

Any opinions of hunting with HECS for bird hunting??

Always!

No; mine isn't fully orange but I wear it when it's cold.

No; hat & vest or coat.

I like it - it's for my personal safety.

Always for safety; I could give a rip about "fashion" & prefer old, comfortable clothing.

Yes, many years ago; no injuries, but had the clown been closer there could have been.

Whether required by law or not, I will ALWAYS wear clothing that makes me more visible. I trust myself, but other hunters in the vicinity - not so much. My dog wears an orange vest also.

Last edited:
Back