OR (Outdoor Research) Gaiters

BritChaser

In an effort to reduce the drag of cover on my legs, I got OR gaiters. They help because they're made of slick cordura and are semi-snug to the legs. After several days of hunting, they show no signs of wear and were unaffected by tough cover. Nothing came loose even partially. They're fairly easy to put on as they have a velcro closure at the front that runs the entire length, from top to bottom. A metal hook secures the front of the lower edge over the laces. An adjustable strap that goes under the boot just in front of the heel keeps them down. At the top is a cloth cinch with a pinch buckle that tightens them up just below the knee to keep them up. Very nice product that reduces the effort needed to walk through cover. With the toes and front of the soles of my boots coated with Tuff Toe, I think I've cut cover drag as much as possible. Any other ideas most welcome.

Last edited:
I have on pair for cross country skiing and one pair for hunting. They are the best that I have found.

Gaiters are awesome. You can't really go wrong with anything OR. Another option for those looking that are of equal quality are the Kenetrek gaiters. Amazon has them for basically 1/2 off right now, too.

In an effort to reduce the drag of cover on my legs, I tried OR gaiters. They help because they're made of slick cordura and are semi-snug to the legs. After several days of hunting they show no signs of wear and were unaffected by tough cover. They're fairly easy to put on as they have a velcro closure at the front that runs the entire length, from top to bottom. A metal hook secures the front of the lower edge over the laces. An adjustable strap that goes under the boot just in front of the heel keeps them down. At the top is a cloth cinch that tightens them up just below the knee. Very nice product and energy saving.
Which ones do you have?

Gaiters are awesome. You can't really go wrong with anything OR. Another option for those looking that are of equal quality are the Kenetrek gaiters. Amazon has them for basically 1/2 off right now, too.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a pair.

I too use gaiters and have for several years. I run the First Lite Bramblers and it's a bonus that your pant legs stay dry thus your socks and feet stay dry in damp conditions.

Also last weekend in West KS they kept a lot of sand burrs from getting up my pant legs. Cant say that for my buddies who spent an hour pulling them off. :ROFLMAO:

I have used gaiters for years for moose and caribou hunting but have always used filson chaps for pheasant hunting. This year for some reason by the end of the day my legs are tired. Switched to gaiters on my wife’s advice and behold I am not so beat at the end of the day. Still hasn’t improved my shooting

I have always thought that chaps help the drag of the cover that I am walking in, both waxed canvas and nylon are quite helpful with that, plus warm and dry....from the crouch down anyway.

My wife hunts in OR gaiters (Rocky Mtn. High) coupled with Irish Setter Wing Shooter boots and loves the set up. Was a game changer for her.

Thought about gators for deeper snow (used them with XC skis), but usually once the cover is blown shut and drifts are high ... I move to other areas or on a iced over lake.

Interesting topic though. Blue jeans here. Used to wear cordura fronted pants, but stopped that. Just have to avoid areas of thistle and you are fine. That is the only thing I have found pheasant hunting that screamed wear something besides blue jeans. Occasional thorn grouse hunting, but that is part of the fun. Battle scars on my face and hands are more telling.

If it is snowy or wet (training, early morning, rainy day) ... I wear a pair of gore-tex lined rain pants from a major retailer. They have lasted many years.

Used to only use gaiters - switched some time ago to lightweight waterproof chaps - they work great in a fresh snow or heavy frost - years ago we hunted a big chunk of school property that had a heavy melting frost - had to change clothes when we got back to the truck - that event triggered the chaps purchase
Did order a pair of those Kenetrek gaiters today -
& have enjoyed this thread as well

I almost always wear gaiters. Current pair are OR but have tried Kenetrecs as well. When it gets really cold or wet I will also wear chaps over the gaiters. I never just wear the chaps without the gaiters.

I tried mine for the first time. Nope, hot and a pain to put on. I will try again in the snow.

Bit of a challenge to put on at first but it gets easier. Get the sole strap at the right length first, then never unbuckle it again. Then put toe on a chair while standing and bring the gaiter up around your heel and get the sole strap in place. Then wrap the gaiter around your ankle and start sticking the velcro together at the far end. Then secure the velcro from the bottom to the top. Some realigning of the velcro strips may be necessary as you work up to the top. Then hook the front to your laces as far forward as possible. Then pull the gaiter up and tighten the cinch at the top just under your knee. I found it a bit clumsy at first but now it's easy.

Last edited:
I tried mine for the first time. Nope, hot and a pain to put on. I will try again in the snow.

Bit of a challenge to put on at first but it gets easier. Get the sole strap at the right length first, then never unbuckle it again. Then put toe on a chair while standing and bring the gaiter up around your heel and get the sole strap in place. Then wrap the gaiter around your anklehook the front to your boot laces, and start sticking the velcro together at the far end. Then secure the velcro from the bottom to the top. Some realigning of the velcro strips may be necessary as you work up to the top. Then rehook the front to your laces as far forward as possible. Then pull the gaiter up and tighten the cinch at the top just under your knee. I found it a bit clumsy at first but now it's easy.

Last edited:
Back