Opening Weekend

chadsbritt

Well, is everyone heading out for opening weekend? I was going to, but am not so sure now that I talked to my buddy out in Holyoke. He said the corn is still standing, and farmers are just now beginning to cut. He said most of the corn will still be up opening weekend.

The good news however is he said bird numbers are looking good. I know its not going to be like South Dakota, but hopefully numbers are decent.

Standing corn... shit! I'm going regardless but that will certainly put the odds in the rooster's corner (as if they weren't already!).

I am heading out to holyoke area. I have never used the WIA before, but i figured I would give it a try. If anyone has any hints about what WIA to look for, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am heading out to holyoke area. I have never used the WIA before, but i figured I would give it a try. If anyone has any hints about what WIA to look for, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a group of guys, you should be able to work some of the larger fields. If not try to hunt shelterbelts, pivot corners, ect... Later in the year, try to approach the areas from a direction most other hunters don't. Roosters learn very quickly where hunters typically come from and will be out of the field before you step in it. Approaching from a different direction may confuse them long enough to get within range. Also, don't forget to be quiet.

I think that being as quiet as possible is definitely the cornerstone to getting some shots off. Whenever I am dropping someone off at the top of a field I never completely stop the vehicle and I make sure that they do not slam doors. Surprise attacks and quick pursuits have helped me put birds in the bag.

Thank you for the tips. It is just me, my friend and his dog. His dog is a 3 year old lab. First time on wild pheasants, have done last two years on farmed pheasants

I live in yuma county and there isnt alot of corn out. Thanksgiving would be about the right time to start hunting out here if you have access.

Back