Opening Weekend Report - South Central Iowa Public Ground

nstric

Hey all -

Gunner and I hit the fields . . . public ground in south central Iowa . . . Saturday and Sunday morning. We'd never hunted this ground before, but I scouted it on a whim the week prior and was happy with what I saw. This was the first time I'd hunted south of DSM in over a decade.

Bird Numbers: WAY up! I was shocked at the amount of crowing and birds eventually seen afield. In excess of 100 . . . BUT . . . nearly all running ahead and flushing wild. It certainly didn't help that a yellow lab from another party decided to bolt ahead and bust them up. While frustrating in the moment, it was still a great site to see!

Cover: I was mostly hunting big block bluestem grass, the exception being the first draw pushed where the birds busted wild. The combination of thinner grass, woody cover, and a rangey neighboring party dog didn't help matters.

Birds Harvested: Three each morning, 5 of the 6 taken off of Gunner's points. Shot a perfect 6 for 6, but any fool can do so as easy as Gunner made it for me.

Bird Appearance: To my surprise, half of the birds I'd shot looked to be young (size, beak, tail feather and spur length, etc.). Given how dry it's been, I'd have thought the hens to nest in April or May, and these roosters were no doubt too young for that to have been the case. And hens only look to raise another brood if the first is lost, right? If not via flooding, how would whole broods have been lost? Weird.

Oddity: This was a first for me. One of the roosters I'd shot was banded. A simple, yellow band numbered "21". I first thought the DNR may have been responsible for such, but there wasn't any number to call, etc., on the band. Now I'm thinking it may have been an escaped game farm bird? Your thoughts? He certainly behaved wild, which could mean good things for the possibility of restocking numbers.

I'm next heading out on Wednesday. Taking two buddies, one that has a younger dog. Should be fun!

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B7%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D35983%3A84%3B%3B338nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp%3B63%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D359859868%3B338nu0mrj

Very nice report Nate. Gunnar looks very good too.

We didnt get out. Will be heading somewhere Tuesday or Wedsnday. Will report back.\

I will say that I train the dogs year round in a public area in BH county. I NEVER have seen a Pheasant in there. Sat. while strolling with my German friends, we saw 2! Very strange but welcoming!

Went for an AM hunt today with my brother. Saw a decent amount of birds, and left a few for next time. The dogs did an extremely good job of taking us to the birds, flushing them in range, and finding them...even the two I managed to only wing and turn into runners. All four dogs are mine, I am just good at sharing:)
IMG_1190.jpg

Gunner's Happy!

Awesome pictures Nate! Our man Gunner looks happy again. I would guess that broods could be lost to the mower, baler, or a predator(s). I once watched a 40+inch northern on the Mississippi backwaters take seven ducklings from back to front and then attack momma!:mad: Predators can do much damage in a very short period of time.

The birds we harvested over the first two days were all this years except for two. Out of those birds--we definitely saw three age classes of hatch. The oldest looked to be from early or middle May. The second class about the middle of June and the last from late August. This last hatch still had pin feathers on the upper neck and head and grayish chest feathers instead of the usual deep blue to black colorings. They had to be only eight to nine weeks old. We flushed two groups of these late guys. As you would expect the first class were full-grown and fully plumaged birds. All birds have been feeding on grasshoppers, the green stems and tops from sprouting beans and corn and the usual corn or soybeans. They are taking full advantage of the recent rain and the sprouting of these waste grains. All birds were shot in the vicinity of water as well. I believe this to be a key until we receive some normal weather patterns. The more water the better as far as hunting success.

Nate, good stuff there and Gunner does look great, probably as fired up as you to be back in the field. I am very encouraged to hear the report of your "south of DSM" success. As you know, I intend to spend a little time south of DSM as well, near my property in general, and am very much looking forward to seeing a few birds in that neck of the woods for the first time in a while.

Keep the reports and pics coming. Good luck Wednesday.

Edit - Depending on where you were, that band could very well have been from a game farm bird. There are a couple of those spots in South Central and I am sure a few get on out of there every so often. Or, maybe a farmer/hunter releasing a few on their own to try and restock the population. Not sure why they would band and number them though. Other than that, a yellow 21 does seem like an oddity.

Last edited:
Very nice picture Cockerfan! I would love to see those pups at work sometime.:thumbsup:

Very nice picture Cockerfan! I would love to see those pups at work sometime.:thumbsup:

Thanks! It was a very fun morning. I am headed out again in the AM to try some public land. I don't have high expectations, but at last it is mid week and maybe things are settled down from the weekend.

Maybe it will work to get out hunting together, but my weekends are on week days. On top of that, I am looking at a potential job transfer in the very near future.

Would love to watch your dogs too though!

Had a nice trip over the weekend. My partner and I harvested 4 roosters and 3 quail down in V B Cty, seen a few more. The birds were runners, a lot of great cover. 2nd covey were young birds.

Back