Opening Weekend Predictions

Funny how that works out. It is fun to work a new dog. I had been looking and mentioning a new dog as mine is done. Out of the blue my wife says the other day, “ so when is your new dog coming?” Pretty funny as the last one appeared with little notice, but actually I hadn’t planned anything yet. I guess I better get going. Beautiful dog BTW

Thanks. Sounds like the wife is on-board and that was her blessing. With a puppy, everyone in the house needs be on-board...it takes a village....so much work.

When out again this morning with my buddy and his boy. Hit three waterways, yet an another great Thanksgiving holiday hunting day. Found a few birds in each of them. We took 4 with 6 shots (2 at one that escaped). My buddy, his boy and Rowdy.
20211128_110057.jpg

Got to take my 10 year old grandson and his dad from Tennessee out yesterday. Plenty of flushes but plenty of misses.

I managed to get one and the pup caught one before he could get out of the cover. The best part of the day was the grandson saying that he wants to go again when he's back for Christmas.20211127_100015.jpg20211127_101908.jpg

It's been a fun, but frustrating season for me. I've seen a lot of birds, but my shooting has left a lot to desire! I've managed to scratch out a couple of limits, and I've rarely been skunked, but there has been more than one ride home where the dogs didn't want to look at me!

Attachments

• 20211117_091938.jpg
    20211117_091938.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
It's been a fun, but frustrating season for me. I've seen a lot of birds, but my shooting has left a lot to desire! I've managed to scratch out a couple of limits, and I've rarely been skunked, but there has been more than one ride home where the dogs didn't want to look at me!
I swear that the springer gives me a dirty look after every miss. After she caught the rooster Saturday I'm sure she gave me a look that said "I'll just do it myself".

Sounds familiar. Why I enjoy hunting solo - to hide my shame.

Although I did that last week, and a farmer next door came down out of his tree stand and was all “Wow that one you missed was a chip shot. Watched the entire thing”. Haha

With the unseasonably warm temperatures the pup and I hit up some lighter cover bordering a picked cornfield .

The pup was birdie several times but only flushed 2 roosters. Miraculously i was able to knockdown both birds which meant the dog didn't have to give me the look. I'm hoping for some colder temps to drive the birds back in the heavier cover.20211130_111043.jpg

Nice shooting! This morning the pups and I hit a new public spot that we scouted in September. Only bird that sat tight was a hen. It was a beautiful foggy morning and the dogs worked well. It was also my first hunt with a GoPro. I really think I'm going to enjoy it.

Got out with my son and his griff today. Tough conditions windy and dry. Saw plenty of birds but only 1 rooster that decided to hold tight. Springer flushed in front of my son and he rolled him with one shot. Hoping for a little moisture to help with the scenting.

20211205_100223.jpgSpringer, in NW IA conditions were awesome this morning, light winds, cloud cover and temps started in the mid 30s. I was out with my buddy, his boy and dog. The kid got some shooting, but no birds. We waited until we were just about finished and my buddy filled out our (and his 3rd bird) limit. FIrst time he has limited, it was a great morning. We saw tons of birds, most from a distance, but had plenty that held for us.
Me and his boy and his dog.

View attachment 2495Springer, in NW IA conditions were awesome this morning, light winds, cloud cover and temps started in the mid 30s. I was out with my buddy, his boy and dog. The kid got some shooting, but no birds. We waited until we were just about finished and my buddy filled out our (and his 3rd bird) limit. FIrst time he has limited, it was a great morning. We saw tons of birds, most from a distance, but had plenty that held for us.
Me and his boy and his dog.
We were south of Carroll and it was 46 at 8:00 and windy. Birds were there just not interested in staying put. I looking forward to colder temps and a little snow.20211205_203543.jpg

Love the pic, one dog seems to have had the best day and the other looks like nothing went his way. We were in Cherokee County.

Back