Opening Weekend Predictions

CDUBS

Well, how's everyone looking for Saturday? Sounds like the youth hunters had a heck of a weekend. I'll be in NW, expecting good things!

Good weather! My yearly wish is no dog injuries. We'll get some birds but limits are not guaranteed. Fun with our group is. Good luck everyone.

I'll be hunting the family farm in Nebraska on Saturday and Sunday, but plan to hit some public ground in NW Iowa on Monday. This will be my first year bird hunting in IA. The dogs and I have put a lot of work in this Summer and Fall. Best of luck to you all!

I would like to send my best wishes to all the farmers in north central and north west Iowa.
NOW START YOUR COMBINES AND MOW DOWN SOME CORN THIS WEEK PLEASE!!!!! :)

Opening weekend in North Central Iowa was a little disappointing, not nearly the number of birds that we have seen in the past. We did put up some birds and saw some good size roosters but the young roosters from this years hatch were far and few between. A lot of walking with a good brace of dogs for not much excitement. The weather was great and a ton of hunters out and about. Well I guess we will see what this week brings.

Our group went out both days Saturday and Sunday, shot a 7 man limit on public ground by 1:30 on Saturday and a 4 man limit on Sunday by 9:30. Best part was we were in two totally different areas on Saturday & Sunday so I would say the season has started off with a bang! Plus I pulled off my first triple on Sunday morning, made it 25yds from the truck on a fence line. 3 roosters got up, 4 shots later all were down and I was done by 8:10

That is awesome Waterdog! I plan on hunting Thursday and Friday this week to see if I can locate so other public grounds that for my son and I to scout out. We had six rooster get up on a corner of a field on Saturday first three jumped up and then two right after that and 2 seconds later the sixth one came out. Unfortunately none of my group was in a position to get a shot but it was certainly very cool for the first year hunter that was by my side to see. It got him totally pumped up about upland bird hunting!

Opening weekend in North Central Iowa was a little disappointing, not nearly the number of birds that we have seen in the past. We did put up some birds and saw some good size roosters but the young roosters from this years hatch were far and few between. A lot of walking with a good brace of dogs for not much excitement. The weather was great and a ton of hunters out and about. Well I guess we will see what this week brings.
I don’t know where you were hunting but I got up 85 birds out of a 108 acre area 25 were roosters the rest hens hunted two walk ins a wma and a wpa all had birds the 85 come out of the wma

Hunted a filter strip on Saturday morning and managed to get 2. Hit it again Monday and got my limit in about 30 minutes. Hunted some public ground on Wednesday and manged to get one.

Don't the same guys sandbagging the forum the same way every year get tired of the efforts? Really everybody had great hunts except them,.....

Tough weekend for my buddy and I. 4 on sat and zero today (Sunday). Corn still not all in but better than opening weekend. Anybody not seeing any standing corn is hunting in a bubble.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to get on here last week. We shop 57, all public ground NW area Saturday thru Monday opening weekend. We had 8 guys and 8 dogs. We didn't shoot great, saw lots of birds. Most corn was off in the areas we hunted.

The wife and i went to one of her families farms on Saturday. We hunted a creek with filter strips and small patch of crp. The springer flushed 2 roosters that i was able to knock down. Dog got to have her first water retrieve of a pheasant as the first bird landed in the middle of a knee deep creek.

Bird numbers are definitely up over last year in the area i hunt.

Back