Opener

Tbear

UPH Master
Everyone ready for opener? I should have taken the week off! We are headed out Friday afternoon to go do a little scouting before the season starts. Cant wait its been to long since I got to chase some wild roosters.:cheers:

somewhat

It has snuck up on me this year somewhat... I will likely go out Sunday if it isn't raining too much. Plans every weekend and work is demanding - hoping that November loosens up and I will chase em in MN harder then. Good luck!

Hey Tbear, I'm heading over to the Canby area on Sat & Sun to meet some old high school friends and head to the fields. I'm passing on the SD Resident Only season to meet up with my buddies. I only get a couple chances each year to hunt with them so I can't pass it up. One is in Mora, MN and the other in the Milwaukee area.

Just went to the game farm again this morning and worked the dogs in the thick stuff...... not hunting opener, kind of wish I was.....

Good luck to all you guys!

Last edited:
I have not hunted MN opener since I lost access to private land some 6-7 years ago.

Opener for me will be sometime between October 15 and October 19th.

I would go to a preserve before I put up with that circus. Grouse woods will be quieter and probably more productive. Certainly more fun and relaxing.

Good Luck to those who venture out.

I have a <1 y/o old pup, so I'm planning on skipping the opening day circus. I'm likely to drive an hour or so south of the Twin Cities on Sunday mid-afternoon during the Vikings game down by New Prague to let the dog run around for an hour or two and hopefully put up a couple of pheasants. I have Columbus day (Monday) off so I'm planning on driving out to the Madison, MN area and hunting the public land out there. I'm hoping that most people will be working and it won't be too hard to find some decent cover to hunt.

Hey Tbear, I'm heading over to the Canby area on Sat & Sun to meet some old high school friends and head to the fields. I'm passing on the SD Resident Only season to meet up with my buddies. I only get a couple chances each year to hunt with them so I can't pass it up. One is in Mora, MN and the other in the Milwaukee area.

Good luck Zeb! Just a heads up I will be out on the border Nov 17,18,19 with one of my customers who has a good dog if you want to meet up about were we did last year and hunt with us.

I will be guiding for the governor's opener in Nobles county, then probably sticking to the ducks until some of the corn comes out and the first week craziness is done. We will get out more at the end of the month.

I second almost everyone's opinion on opener. I hate it! But can never seem to skip it. Heading to the Ortonville area Friday morning. Probably the last time I'll check in so good luck everyone!

Now the more it eats at me.... I might have to take a drive and hunt some stuff out west of me. I just cant see not being in a field somewhere this weekend, maybe even hit the game farm again....:D

I was getting some stuff together last night and you could just tell the dogs were ready to go. Think of the dogs its not fair to them.:) This might be my new go to with the wife:eek: I don't understand how some you can skip the opening of the season. Ya it can be a zoo but there are a lot of spots the guys don't hunt right. I have no problem walking a spot after a few guys with an overweight and out of shape lab just walked. The season is just to short to skip days in the field. Good luck to everyone headed out I really think this year is going to surprise some people. Don't forget to take some pictures to share with everyone.

I was getting some stuff together last night and you could just tell the dogs were ready to go. Think of the dogs its not fair to them.:) This might be my new go to with the wife:eek: I don't understand how some you can skip the opening of the season. Ya it can be a zoo but there are a lot of spots the guys don't hunt right. I have no problem walking a spot after a few guys with an overweight and out of shape lab just walked. The season is just to short to skip days in the field. Good luck to everyone headed out I really think this year is going to surprise some people. Don't forget to take some pictures to share with everyone.

Well it isn't really that hard to skip it.... we know that 2 weeks from now, the people you just mentioned wont be out anymore. It's not like we still cant work our dogs. ;)

I might just hit the club, it's easy and the dogs still get to work birds PLUS I don't have to deal with the crowds.

Can't wait for tomorrow. I got my pup out a couple times this week to see if the wild birds would help steady him up. He busted a group of 7 hens on Sunday afternoon. He had an awesome point on a rooster last night, so I know there is at least one out there.

I'm doing a day trip tomorrow and took off three days next week. I might take my son out to southwest mn for mea.

Drive safe and shoot straight.

This will be my first Minnesota Pheasant Opener, I'm certainly looking forward to it! Lived in south-central South Dakota the last two pheasant openers so I'm expecting to see some crowds tomorrow but not the circus (or number of birds) that I'm used to on openers. Good luck everybody, stay safe, have fun, and make some memories!

Greetings UPHers..can't wait till tommorrow, I will be out in Central Minnesota shootings ducks at sunrise and roosters come morning. My favorite weekend of the year. Be safe and have fun everyone!

I'll be out tomorrow for the day, not too optimistic since just about all of the corn is still in, but it'll be nice to work my pup for a while. I'll mostly be around Chisago county, Mille Lacs, Pine, Kanabec. Anyone have any public hunting areas they've had luck in over the years? I've hunted a few of the smaller ones with moderate success but haven't ventured onto the larger ones as I usually only go by myself or with a buddy.

Thanks guys and good luck!

Hunting today really sucked. 2 of us with 2 dogs hunted until 3:30 and saw 2 hens. We hunted 4 different parcels of CRP on private land. Cover was the thickest I've seen it in some places. Some of the land we normally hunt had been taken out of CRP. :mad: Lots of crops still in the fields. I was surprised at the amount of beans still standing. Until the crops are totally out and we get a little snow hunting is going to be very tough.

Back