Oops...I did it again!

JMc

Super Moderator
In my quest to buy as many O/U's I can just to find out that I can't shoot any of them worth a crap (the exception being my Ithaca/SKB 20ga); I have gone and done it again. However, I think I found a hidden treasure. I came across an older Winchester 101 in absolutely mint condition. It's as tight as new with great blueing and wood.

Here is the catch to it; it has an improved bottom barrel and an improved/modified top barrel - fixed chokes; 28". The barrel is marked Model 101 - Winchester - 12 Guage - 2 3/4 Shells. That's it; as in no other marks. It does not say made in Japan, USA, or anything else for that matter. I called Winchester and they said it was made in the early 70's but that's all with the exception of they said the custom gun shop made several custom barrel setups at one time and this could be one of them but it was unlikely that it was not stamped. They asked me to send it to them for review...UH NO! It's tucked away warmly in the McSafe for good.

If any of you have any expertise with the 101 let me know. I am busting it out tomorrow and giving it a try. I'll get some pics up later.

I have had two 12ga's. One was like new also. The other shot much more but both worked flawless. You will never have a issue with it. You have made a great choice. Mine had very nice French Walnut. That kinda red look to them. I would love to have a 20, 28 or 410 in a 101 again. I like the sub gauges

Congrats on your new toy

I too have been bit by the buy as many O/U's as I can before I'm dead thing.

I'm waiting for a 20ga Montefeltro Benelli to arrive. Very excited myself.

Jim,

You may have to go to counseling man!:)

Just jealous. Hard to imagine having too many guns.

I regret to inform you that the 101 you have has been recalled for testing, I am the official test lab technician, after a thorough field inspection of your 101 which normally takes 7-10 pheasant seasons I will return the gun with full report, you only pay shipping both ways :D

MRB - you know me too well; however, I sold my 12 ga Red Label, bought the 101, and made money.

Fieldking - you are too funny; that was a great reply.

Six inches of snow today, so it will get a good workout tomorrow.

I forgot to say congratulations on a great find! I have looked at a few 101s and will buy one eventually when all the stars line up$$ right.

MRB - you know me too well; however, I sold my 12 ga Red Label, bought the 101, and made money.

Fieldking - you are too funny; that was a great reply.

Six inches of snow today, so it will get a good workout tomorrow.

Six inches of snow? You and Taz should be in heaven!

Congrats on the new gun Jim. All I can say is I wish I would have found it. But then again I don't shoot 12ga anymore. To rough on this old body and a few to many surgery's done..........Bob

The old 101's were made in Japan--Kodensha I think--they also made guns under the "Nikko" brand--and were pretty well thought of. They stopped making them there in the early 80's if I recall correctly.

Main complaints which may not be a problem for you is that they weren't very light in weight for a field gun, were too light for a target gun, and had more drop to the stock than standard. You might want to pattern it to see how it fits you before getting too attached to it.

According to Winchester; when the Olin/Kodensha plant shut down, the firearm records were destroyed. They can tell you an approximate manufacture date but not specific to your gun.
As for the markings on my gun, the guy at Winchester said he thought it was a custom gun that may have been rushed out and never stamped "made in Japan". I have included some pics. You can cleary see the standard markings but nothing underneath them or on the opposite side. Look closely and you can see my hand and camera reflection in the blueing. The pics do not do it justice.

As for patterning the gun; what ?:confused:, no time for that, it's pheasant season...:). I took it out yesterday, fired four rounds, picked up three birds. If your good at math, then you know I missed one.

101-2.jpg

101-3.jpg

101-5.jpg

101-6.jpg

Last edited:
According to Winchester; when the Olin/Kodensha plant shut down, the firearm records were destroyed. They can tell you an approximate manufacture date but not specific to your gun.
As for the markings on my gun, the guy at Winchester said he thought it was a custom gun that may have been rushed out and never stamped "made in Japan". I have included some pics. You can cleary see the standard markings but nothing underneath them or on the opposite side. Look closely and you can see my hand and camera reflection in the blueing. The pics do not do it justice.

As for patterning the gun; what ?:confused:, no time for that, it's pheasant season...:). I took it out yesterday, fired four rounds, picked up three birds. If your good at math, then you know I missed one.

101-2.jpg

101-3.jpg

101-5.jpg

101-6.jpg

nice 101 !!

Back