Only 4 Months to Go

Seems kinda quiet up here with only 4 months to prepare for the upcoming season. No bird reports? Some one needs to start shaking the roost(sh4l).Been taking my dogs out, me on a bicycle, they run, on 4 -5 miles jaunts during the cool mornings on days I don't work. Yesterday heard 2 roosters cackle in area with no crp or public hunting. Almost makes me want to spend the $15 for an Illinois license. If things are looking better here, we all better be looking forward to a much better harvest in the places we travel to!

I went out & shot pigeons at a couple grain silos this morning . . . took one of my high-end, scary accurate & quiet air rifles. This gave my pup some dead-bird retrieving practice without the noise (and the farmer likes this no noise approach). I did see a few quail & 1 hen pheasant, but no growing chicks.

Updates

Normally I would have numerous updates but just very frustrated right now not being able to walk. I understand things could be worse but I definitely am very depressed not only having to miss scouting but sitting on the sidelines for all but maybe the last 3 or 4 weeks of the season.

I wish you all the best of luck this upcoming season. It's tough to have your passion taken away (at least it's only temporary) :)

Keep the posts coming, living vicarously through your season is all I will have.

I'll tell you about all of my l o n g shotgun hikes in good ol' WA State, Shorthairs. Occasionally, I hope to even tell you about Roosters pointed & harvested.

Hang in there; this, too will pass.

We have been hearing some good reports on Pa., it's going to be a long summer!

Heard a lot of grouse drumming this spring so I think they are doing fine.

As far as pheasants they should have had a good hatch as mild as the spring was but the dry spell we are in might heart them too. I don't really know what kind of affect that would have on them. Mostly just been shooting clays,fishing,working and waiting. Dogs are ready to go but they never aren't ready.

Normally I would have numerous updates but just very frustrated right now not being able to walk. I understand things could be worse but I definitely am very depressed not only having to miss scouting but sitting on the sidelines for all but maybe the last 3 or 4 weeks of the season.

I wish you all the best of luck this upcoming season. It's tough to have your passion taken away (at least it's only temporary) :)

Keep the posts coming, living vicarously through your season is all I will have.

I trust you are progressig well with your therapy and re-hab. Looking forward to seeing Cookie and you harvest that 1st rooster when we travel to S D in November. We'll get you into some good situations even if it be "chillin on a dirt road". Keep up the hard work with visions of Cookie delivering that bird to hand and you'll be living your own season sooner than you think.:cheers: First beer is on me!

Back